(Closed) 1920s makeup is difficult…any advice?

posted 7 years ago in Beauty
  • poll: Do you like? Do you have any advice? :D
    I like the darker option : (8 votes)
    40 %
    I like the lighter option : (10 votes)
    50 %
    I have advice! : (2 votes)
    10 %
  • Post # 4
    3525 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2010

I’d tone down the eyeshadow and bump up your lashes–I did a quick Google search of “1920s stars” and found that many of them have dark lips that are very well-defined, minimal eye shadow, and long, full, dark lashes. Instead of applying shadow to your entire lid, focus on the area just above your lash line. Also, don’t be afraid to darken and define your brows! Hope this helps. 🙂

Post # 5
    2701 posts
    Sugar bee

I like the old-fashioned makeup look. Your lips are perfect and I wouldn’t change anything. The 1920’s were all about eye drama, lip drama and pale face with barely any blush. When I want to do a old glamour look, I do a very thick line of liquid eye liner which adds instant timelessness to your look. I would keep the eyeshadow the way you have it but add false eyelashes to that extra punch of drama.

Try this, but not so crazy with the eyeshadow haha:

Post # 6
    43 posts
    • Wedding: June 2012

I would go with the lighter eye makeup and play up your lashes and brows. Darker makeup can have a tendency to make your eyes appear smaller. I do think you’re going in the right direction with the lip color. My only suggestion there would be to pick something with a darker base- maybe a little bit of blue or violet in it- the red you’re wearing in the photos is coming across slightly orange in the photos.

I love the inspiration for your makeup though. I love the idea of vintage- especially from the 20s. It’s very distinct and classic.

Post # 7
    7587 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

You should purchase liquid liner for your eyes. It needs to be a little more severe on top

Post # 8
    538 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

I like the bottom look! if you want suggestions I would do light/champagne eye shadow and red lips. I do think you need liner, and more blush.

All the pictures I see online have pink blush

Post # 9
    2522 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

You look beautiful!  I like the lighter option a bit more, and I agree with the others, thicker eyelashes would play it up some more!

Post # 10
    3525 posts
    Sugar bee

Another thought–instead of going red-red on the lips, which makes me think of the 40s/50s more than the 20s, why not try a burgundy tone? Still in the red family, but a deeper, richer color than classic red.

Post # 13
    7779 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

I agree with Grape. They didn’t really wear bright red until the 30s and 40s. Definitely find a burgundy or cranberry tone. Something darker.

This is my favorite tutorial on it.

This one is a little more modernized

Post # 14
    1008 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2016

I have done  a lot of twenties make-up for shows and we are always told to play up super long lashes, darker thinner eyebrows and small round lips. Kind of like heart shaped lips. I have lips like that naturally (and hate them) but I am sure you could make the lining more defined and pointy kinda like a heart. 

And I agree with the liquid eyeliner. 

Post # 15
    921 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

i like the second one!!

Post # 16
    311 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

Second option for sure! When I see downplayed eyes but gorgeous skin and lips I think 1920s/30s/40s… And you look fantastic with big lips and easy done eyes.

The topic ‘1920s makeup is difficult…any advice?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors