1940s Themed Wedding

posted 3 years ago in Themes
Post # 2
906 posts
Busy bee

I’m not engaged or anything nor i have a bf. but I’m a history buff and for decor you could use things like nancy drew decorations or very small/tiny nancy drew books to decorate the venue. You could also add decor that was popular in the 1940s. Like maybe some world war 2 stuff or Franklin Roosevelt decor. Just a idea. I hope this helps. 

Post # 3
772 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Haha, I’m guessing you’re not Jewish. It took me a few seconds to realize you meant 1940’s americana. 

Post # 4
337 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Me and my fiancee are both huge history buffs as well infact most of the time he wears fedoras and ties and suits. We have a couple of friends who have had purely vintage weddings but to me this is a little costumey. Our wedding is simply vintage/classic. My dress is from 1949 and is a Jackie O/Grace Kelly style ball gown with a catherdral veil, my fiancee is wearng a tux and tails from the teens. We will be getting married at a Victoran mansion and will be playing mostly 1930’s-1940’s music during dinner to give it that vintage vibe. Our first dance will be to ” The Way You Look Tonight” sung by Fred Astaire, I am incorporating little vintage things into my wedding. I have a 1930’s cameo I am going to add onto my bouquet, I choose lily of the valley which is a flower used often during this time period, and I am wearing some vintage jewlery including some heirlooms.  I collect antiques so I am bring a couple of my pieces like two antique chairs for our sweetheart table.

Here are some ways to incorporate the 40’s

-Use period music

– Have a period hairstyle

– Maybe have a cocktal that was popular during this time

-have a vintage get away car

-have guests sign a vintage guest book ( you can find them on ebay)

– wear some vintage jewlery

-Use flowers like lily of the valley and callas which were popular then.

Post # 5
200 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Ooh, the 1940s! I suppose a truly authentic 1940s wedding would be rather austere, considering the rationing a bride would have to plan around. But the music would be amazing — big band, a young Frank Sinatra, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong. If you wanted, you could hire a swing instructor to give your guests a quick, 10 minute lesson on the basic steps right at the start of the dancing at your reception.

This is also one of my favorite historical eras for fashion. It’s where we really see women take on menswear and dramatic shoulders and necklines. I love this dress from Elizabeth Fillmore — it’s very 40s  http://www.elizabethfillmorebridal.com/gowns/spring-2013/arielle.html. Stephanie James also does dresses inspired from the 1940s and 50s. http://stephaniejamescouture.com/ If you wanted a more A-line look, you could also use Queen Elizabeth’s dress as a form of inspiration. http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkpu5tzvaV1qiyye8o1_500.jpg It also seems like there are a ton of vintage wedding dresses available on etsy and ebay so that would be a great place to look, too.

I love the Nancy Drew idea the PP mentioned. You could also have each table named after a major Hollywood starlet from the 1940s, like Rita Hayworth, Ingrid Bergman, Humphrey Bogart, Katherine Hepburn, Clarke Gable, etc. You could probably find vintage posters from films like Casablanca, The Best Years of Our Lives, It’s a Wonderful Life, etc. to decorate.

I’m not certain, but I would imagine most bouquets from the 1940s would be in classic white, ivory or off-white flowers, nothing too dramatic.   

For other decorations, maybe if you could find vintage radios , those would be a neat touch. Disney also became a major pop culture force in the 40s, so maybe vintage figurines of Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Dumbo, etc.

Good luck with your planning!

Post # 6
3014 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

…you are using black market beef fat instead of butter in the wedding cake, and serving lentil mock duck??? 

just kidding. However, I think if you go with this theme you should definitely go for an old dress pattern (as thin a silhouette as possible) made from recycled fabric! That would be rad!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors