(Closed) 2 1/2 months until wedding and found out I'm probably losing my job soon.

posted 6 years ago in Career
Post # 3
Bee
1433 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012 - Historic Lougheed House

I would just keep at the shitty CS position until after the wedding.  At least its an income, right?  

I think you’re right that no one will hire someone 2 months out that needs time off immediately.  Most places will have policies that you can’t take vacation in the first 3 or 6 months. 

Sucks, but I’d keep focusing on wedding, showing up to work doing the shitty CS thing, and look for a new job that day you get back from your honeymoon. 

Post # 5
182 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

OP I’m so sorry you’re going through this! I agree w/ PP, just take the CS job and just keep reminding yourself WHY you’re doing it, as that should serve as your motivation. Once you return from your HM, start putting in job apps asap. Just hang in there, I’m sure it’ll all be worth it once your big day arrives! Best of luck to you!!

Post # 6
4046 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I know a few people who were laid off, found new jobs, and were allowed to take off for pre-existing vacation plans. Especially since it’s your wedding! Think of it this way, as a new employee, you aren’t terribly valuable or important yet, they chose you from a field of many candidates and are set in their choice.

I was laid off last year so I know how you feel. It sucks! Big hugs to you and good luck!

Post # 7
11753 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’m so sorry hun.  Fi just ended a year long of being unemploymend so I know how stressful it can be.  But, try to look on the positive side – you have a position for the next few months, so at least you can be more prepared.  I say do the CS position and start looking for new jobs. I think many companies will be understanding of your need to take the time for your wedding, although I would not bring it up until they have made you an offer!  I definitely don’t think that would be a deal breaker if they really wanted to hire you.  I also think you should continue planning as usual – since you already put the money out there you might as well not lose it for nothing!  Good luck!

Oh and just a tip – I would def look sooner rather than later – Fi found that hiring REALLY slows down in the fall (around Oct) through the New Year, so I wouldn’t personally wait until after your HM to start looking or it may be tough to find something during the Holidays…

Post # 8
4194 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

I’m currently unemployed, and I made a mention of my fiance in an interview today. The interviewer asked when the wedding was- if they hire me, I’d need a week off less than a month after starting, and it didn’t seem to bother him at all. (In fact, he called one of my references today, so it doesn’t look like a deal breaker) 

Having vacations booked when starting a new job is pretty common- I wouldn’t let that keep you from starting your search. You tell them after you’ve received the job offer that you need time off for your already booked/paid for honeymoon, and you take the time off without pay. Or depending on when you find a new job, they might want you to wait to start after the honeymoon, anyway.

Post # 9
661 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

What rebwana said about lots of people needing vacation time because they have things already booked is so true! Don’t let that deter you at all. Sorry that you are going through this. But this is indeed very common. It happened to me too and the employer was very accommodating. Do not  worry about it. 

My FI has been unemployed for almost a year also.  This is so common. I have been laid off twice. It completely sucks but you have to just grit your teeth and plunge forward. If you have that attitude you will always come out on top. That is what happened to me! 

Post # 11
1280 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

Robin_Sparkles Yay!…Glad to see a silver lining….please keep us posted!…good or bad you know the bees are here to support one another!

Post # 12
11234 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

@Robin_Sparkles:  Yay! 

I’ve been in your position before. I’ve been laid off three times, by three different companies. It sucks, but you have to move on. I have a Marketing degree, too, and I can only find jobs that aren’t in Marketing because I don’t have any “proper” experience. Sorry that I had to work 30+ hours a week through college to support myself and had no time for an internship. Frown I really hope that you get a position with this place! I’m in a similar position right now, fingers crossed for both of us!

The topic ‘2 1/2 months until wedding and found out I'm probably losing my job soon.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors