(Closed) 2 1/2 myths to go and thinking I need some Prozac or something anyone else?

posted 6 years ago in Emotional
Post # 4
368 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

Just my two cents – unless you have history with depression and/or anxiety outside of wedding planning, I would steer clear of taking any medication, unnecessarily.

Wedding planning is stressful, especially when life is also busy, so perhaps just take a weekend for yourself to relax and regenerate. And remember to stay focused on the main point of the wedding; you’re marrying your guy! I had to remind myself that a lot when the stress was threatening me towards one too many bottles of wine. 😉

Post # 5
338 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Agree with PP. Anti-depressants aren’t supposed to be used for things like this. Except if you’re beyond stressed and you’re actually -depressed-, then talk to your doctor.

I was diagnosed with depression over a year ago and I’ve been struggling with it. This wedding is sometimes way too much for me and when it is, I remember that this is someone else’s wedding too (fiance!!) and I hand over whatever I’m working on to him 😀 

Lots of hugs coming your way. This will end with all of your family and friends around you as you marry your best friend so smile!! 😀

Post # 6
750 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Over the counter melatonin supplements – when you sleep better, your whole body relaxes better, and your system is much better prepared to handle the many stresses you’re throwing at yourself! I take a supplement every night, it has 3mg of melatonin and some passionflower and lavender extracts in it. It doesn’t knock me out, doesn’t drug me or leave me groggy, it just helps me relax enough for a nice, sound sleep.

Also, get some vitamins going, especially vitamin D. Even when we’re not deficient in vitamins or hormones, sometimes a boost of those naturally-occurring things can give us a little extra “oomph” without needing medications.

Hang in there!

Post # 7
2725 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@MrsTahoe: +1

I’m in mental health.  There are certain criteria to meet for depression and anxiety. You can request medication from a family dr if you want. Many will prescribe regardless if you meet the criteria (overgeneralization I know-but it happens frequently). I firmly believe you should not be on medications unless you are experiencing some impairment in your daily life functioning. Also, most medications take around 6 weeks to begin working.

There are natural things you can do such as working out, eating healthy, meditation, taking time to decompress each day, journaling, sleep. Some people report improvement from taking St. John’s Wart (available in the vitamin aisle). Word of caution, do not combine it with antidepressants or anxiety medications.

Post # 8
161 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Oh, yes…pretty much what other bees have said.  Don’t take antidepressants unless absolutely necessary (i.e. you are diagnosed with depression).  I was on an antidepressant for a few years, and coming off of it was terrible.  TERRIBLE. 

Your doctor might be able to prescribe something for occasional anxiety.

Post # 10
396 posts
Helper bee

@StingWray:  I would like some medication, I’m almost at 4 months to go and I’m ready to call it quits.

The topic ‘2 1/2 myths to go and thinking I need some Prozac or something anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors