2.5ct and Moissanite questions. PICTURES PLEASE!

posted 2 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Given the below information, 2.5 ct center stone or 1.4 ct center stone?
    2.5ct : (20 votes)
    42 %
    1.4ct : (28 votes)
    58 %
  • Post # 2
    1905 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

Unfortunatately people will question whether it’s “real” or not, unless your lifestyle could easily support a 2.5 carat diamond (that’s what, 30k?) 

Also when I think of a modest, vintage ring I don’t think of a 2.5 carat center stone. 

However, if it’s what you prefer and love, get it. It’s on your finger! 

Post # 4
    8604 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

I love big stones! I say go for 2.5 carat! Who cares if some people assume it’s fake. If someone is rude enough to ask just say it’s a moissanite. 

Post # 5
    8071 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2015

if you don’t want to feel obligated to talk about moissy, and don’t want people to ask if it’s “real” I would def not go for the 2.5 which will certainly stand out.

Or you could just get what you want and own it. The only people who come on here unhappy with their moissy are the ones who wanted it to look like a diamond- the larger the rock the more apparent the differences. 

Post # 6
    7219 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2015

I have a vintage Art Deco   engagement ring ( heirloom) that is several carats. ( I haven’t looked at the papers in a long time, so I don’t know exact number, it looks about 2 ct or just under for main stone, whole thing 3 ct probably, OEC, warm with incredible sparkle due to older style cut). I also have a newer heirloom from an era they sell as vintage, though I find that odd since it’s 80s. It’s 3 ct emerald cut. 

point is,  I don’t think big stone necessarily means not vintage. It’s in the overall look. I am also not a big fan of what other people gossip about. If they have Nothing better to do, screw them. Get the ring you love and don’t explain it to anyone unless you want to. 

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  BalletParker. Reason: Try to get rid of link I didn't add
    Post # 7
    2782 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

EarlyBird:  I do think that people KNOW your lifestyle doesn’t support a 2.5 ct diamond, that they will at least privately wonder/assume it’s “fake”– and unless they know Moissasnite exists (because I didn’t before I was engaged and came to the Bee) that they might think it’s CZ.  If that doesn’t bother you (but it seems like it might) go for it.  

That being said…I would never ask anyone (at least that I can think off the top of thier head) if thier gem was real/fake/Moissanite vs. diamond.  Not my family members (OK, I *might* have asked my sister if I wondered– but because my sister and her FI are so damn cheap, I likely would asked if they were real if it was a .25 diamond LOL– but I know thei diamonds in her ring were my mom’s) but there’s no one else I would ever ask.  

It’s not my business what someone chooses to have in thier ring…..or thier reasons for it.  That said, I’d likely laugh to myself if someone had CZ and seriously tried to pass it off as a diamond.  Mostly because I prefer people who are confident in thier choices 🙂

Post # 8
    23 posts
    Newbee

I had the same concerns when i picked my 2ct stone. However, who cares what people think…get what you like. Here is my 2ct so you can kind of compare.  Im a size 6.75

Post # 9
    6887 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2014 - A castle!

Have you tried the ring on with a 2.5 ct stone? My best advice would be to wear both and see what you think looks best on your finger.

For reference, diamdb.com lets you compare various sizes/shapes on your given finger size.

Post # 10
    537 posts
    Busy bee

I’ve seen vintage and antique pieces with large stones in them before. There’s a jeweler near me that sells a lot of estate pieces and there are some very big ones on display. I think it’s really about what you want. If you can afford either or, I personally would always go with the larger carat weight because that’s my style. If you like to be more subtle and don’t like drawing attention to yourself, I would go with the 1.4 carat.

As for your size and worrying about the carat weight, a size 6 is on the small side. The average size for a woman’s finger is a size 7. Refer to the chart below as a guideline. The carat weight that intersects with your finger size has a percentage. The percentage will tell you how much of your finger will be covered by the stone. If the percentage is black, the stone may appear too small on your finger, if it is red, it is most likely just right. If the percentage is highlighted in blue, it may be too large on your finger. Again, this is just a guide and should really depend on your personal preferences. Hope this helps!

Post # 12
    6518 posts
    Bee Keeper

If you’re worried about people thinking it’s fake, I would go with the 1.4.

If you don’t care at all what people think and like the 2.5 better on your finger, then go with the 2.5.

Post # 13
    599 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

EarlyBird:  Diamond, CZ, ANY STONE, a 2.5ct stone IS large and will get lots of attention (negative and positive I’m sure). Who cares if people think it’s “fake” or judge you. Go with what you like personally.

I have 7.5mm (1.5ct equiv) on a large finger (11.5) and while I feel it’s proportionate to my finger, it still attracts attention which I’m a little unsure how to deal with.

Are you a more flashy jewelry wearer? Do you rock big rings and earrings and stuff or are you more subtle with your jewelry? If you are a bit more over the top, a bigger ering is probably what people would expect. But if you are a little more “everyday” modest kind of jewelry wearer, the smaller one might be good.

Personally, I think with an antique-feeling setting, a smaller stone would look nicer, but I don’t tend to love 2+ ct stones personally.

Post # 14
    851 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

Here is my 2.5 ct Forever Brilliant Moissanite on my size 7 finger! I say go big or go home! haha

Post # 15
    1907 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: TBD

Do whatever you want and will make you happy. At the end of the day you’re the one that’s going to have to look at it forever.

From my personal experience I love the size of my diamond and I feel its very proportional to my finger. However, you have slightly larger fingers than I do so I think a bigger stone would be awesome! However, if you work with your hands a lot or whatever it might get in the way. 

Like you, I wanted to stay with one stone forever and have my original e-ring be my forever ring. FI knew this and got me my dream sized diamond despite our student-status. People often comment on the size and yes, it does make me uncomfortable. But the more it happens, the better I learn to deal with it. 

So anyway, it seems like you want the 2.5 so get it! And post pics when you do! 🙂

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors