(Closed) 2 button versus 3 button suit jackets – how to decide?

posted 8 years ago in Grooms/men
  • poll: How many buttons on groomsmens jackets do you think looks best?
    Two buttons : (5 votes)
    33 %
    Three buttons : (2 votes)
    13 %
    It doesn't matter - you can mix and match. Whatever looks best on each guy. : (6 votes)
    40 %
    Other (describe below) : (2 votes)
    13 %
  • Post # 3
    4466 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

I think it definitely depends on body type.  FI is tall but kinda chunky and he looks like a dork in a three-button suit.  But my Dad is tall and lanky and looks great in a three-button suit.

I think you can mix and match no problem.

Post # 4
    865 posts
    Busy bee

I don’t know the difference but if you choose the 3 button, leave the third button unbuttoned.

Post # 5
    153 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I think that 3 button suits are not as “in” right now. 2 button is the more popular option and more generally flattering, I believe. (I think this is what the guy at the store told us when we were shopping for one for FI). Incidentally, FI is average height and a little bit stocky and looks much better in a 2 button suit. It just looks more modern andc put-together/sophisticated.

You indicated you want the grooms to match, so that’s going to be difficult if you dont’ want to force the tall groosman to buy a 2 button suit (I wouldnt want to force anyone either). I would honestly say that I don’t think the groomsmen wearing different # of buttons on their suits would be an obvious difference at all…I don’t even think I’d notice it in pictures

Post # 6
    2205 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2009

I wouldn’t mix and match…and I don’t necessarily have a preference between 2 and 3 button suits, although i think 2 is more popular. (it’s not really a body type thing as much as it is a style thing)

I say you let your hubby decide for all the groomsmen.  Have him try them on and see which he likes best!

Post # 7
    303 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

I wouldn’t mix & match, but at the tux shop, they told me it depends on the guys’ heights. If you have tall guys get the 3 button. If your guys are about average height or less, get the 2 button. Our guys range from 5’9″ to 6’1″ so we’re going with the 2 button.

Post # 8
    5273 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2009

Personally I would go with three button, from what all my guys friends say, most think the three button looks the best, but they always like to leave the 3rd button unbuttoned 🙂

Post # 9
    1220 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2009

2 button fits more people and is the most “in” right now.  3 buttons can sometimes look dated.

Post # 10
    5494 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2011

FI and I just went suit shopping and our research and the woman at the boutique boiled it down to 3 button looks good on someone who is very tall and fairly lean.  It has a tendency to make a man look a little shorter and bulkier so a man of average hight and weight would not want to wear three button.  But a tall lanky man will look more proportional in a 3 button.  I think mixing 2 and 3 button is just fine as long as the suit is otherwise the same.  No one will really notice. It’s just more of an optical illusion.

Here is a a good, concise explanantion:  http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_400/440_two-button-or-three-button-suit.html

Post # 11
    66 posts
    Worker bee

Miss Sapphire is correct. The only reason to buy a three-button suit in 2010 is because it’s discontinued, and therefore on sale. Mixing 2- and 3-button suits will look clumsy in your pictures. Have you thought of having the guys rent suits so they’ll all be uniform?

Post # 12
    721 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

My fiance loves 3 button suits/tuxes so we’ll probably go with that.  he’s very tall (6’8″) and has a belly.  The two button suits fall too low on his torso and kind of bow open in the front, which makes his belly stick out of the suit opening.  It’s really unattractive so I definitely see why he prefers 3-button.

PP have great advice.  I’d definitely make sure the groom picks whatever he’s most comfortable in.  I would prefer all one style.

The topic ‘2 button versus 3 button suit jackets – how to decide?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors