2 ceremonies, is it a bit much to get another wedding dress?

posted 3 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
3394 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Being a multiple-dress (and cross-cultural) bride myself, I’m a firm advocate of doing what you want on your wedding day. I’ve been to Chinese weddings where the bride wears eight different gowns, and no-one bats an eyelid. To each her own.

My only advice would be to make sure you have sufficient time to get changed into each dress, you don’t want to be rushing on the day and feeling like you’re spending the entire day getting in and out of dresses. 

Post # 6
105 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I think for your wedding this is the time to do what you want and if getting 2 ceremony dress is what you want you should do it bc it’s your only chance and people wont judge you. I just got married. I’m Chinese, husband is Korean/Japanese. I wore my qi pao in the morn for tea ceremony. A ballgown for my ceremony and a second mermaid wedding dress for reception. Everyone advise me not to do two wedding dresses bc my reception dress in their opinion was gorgeous enough but I wanted two and knew this was the only time to do it. My wedding came out amazing. I loved it andeveryone loved my two dresses and finally understood why I wanted two. Good luck! 🙂 

Post # 7
1333 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Do you know if you can take off the bolero for the Jewish ceremony? My Jewish friends had to have their shoulders covered in temple on their wedding days. I know the definition of covered changes according to orthodoxy, not sure if some synagogues are ok with bare shoulders. I think you’ll be fine either way – changing an accessory or changing dresses. 

Post # 9
809 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014 - Catal Restaurant

This is a tough one. I like the idea of multiple dresses but it may be a waste to wear 2 traditional type wedding dresses. Maybe you can get one dress and just style it differently (different sash, earrings, necklace, head piece, veil, etc)

Post # 11
2891 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

@swtvt712:  I’m also Vietnamese Catholic, but I’m only doing one wedding dress (one ceremony). I never thought of doing two ceremonies even though we’re interfaith and intercultural as well. 

Sorry for not being more helpful. 

Post # 13
222 posts
Helper bee

Hmm tricky one – if you really want to do it, then just do it. But maybe cover the cost of all 3 dresses yourself so your parents/his parents won’t complain or feel odd? Like maybe even keep your dresses out of the overall budget so there’s no way they’re paying for them?

I do like the idea of different dresses to signify the different ceremonies, otherwise it seems like the exact same thing twice for no real reason (obviously there are, if you get what I mean lol). Is there some way you can make each dress in a style that works traditionally for that faith, rather than just getting two pretty, but somewhat generic, ‘wedding’ dresses?

Post # 15
222 posts
Helper bee

@swtvt712:  Then you just answered your own question, get 2 🙂 To save money could you set a very strict budget or just look at dresses on sale, if you’re worried about that side of things?

Post # 16
768 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I like the bolero idea, but absolutely do whatever you want. It’s going to be a long day for you so whatever makes you the most comfortable. 🙂

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors