2 Days Before My Wedding and My Toenails Are Falling Off… Acrylic Toenails?

posted 3 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
2076 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

When I was a dancer and did pointe work, I lost toenails all the time. the other girls and I always just painted the skin. We all could tell who’d lost which nails. It looked ok but funky.BUT since it’s your wedding day, I would get the acrylic tips put on. Most people probably wouldn’t even notice but still, you’re the bride and want to feel as beautiful and perfect as possible. 

Post # 4
1988 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

If that happened to me I’d get scared something is seriously wrong and go see my doctor! I can totally see why ballet dancers lose nails from en pointe dancing but other than that, are you sure you don’t want to see your doctor just in case? 

I’d probably wear closed toe shoes so that the nail wouldn’t show but it would have the opportunity to heal. But that’s just me, I’ve never had acrylic tips in my life, they freak me out of some reason. 

Post # 5
251 posts
Helper bee

I use the Impress toenails by Kiss and I like them a lot. If you follow the instructions correctly they last about 1 week and you can do them at home. They are under $10 and can be found at the drug store or Walmart. I love them!

Post # 6
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

I can relate.

I have ALWAYS had healthy & happy feet…

That was until I did a Shellac Pedicure on a Cruise Ship in early 2012… the Shellac (CND Product) literally dryed out / destroyed my toe nails… they grew weak, they cracked, they peeled, and they broke off (including a big toe nail that one day cracked sideways, and I lost haf of it)

It hasn’t been fun at all. 

Here I am over 18 months later and my nails still haven’t fully recovered (they say on average it can take a toe nail 1 to 2 years to grow cuticle to tip)

It sucks.

And it is a given, I will NEVER do a Shellac treatment again… 

Not 100% sure what to suggest for your situation… how visible will your toes be ?  What type of shoes are you wearing ?

Post # 7
11 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I damaged both my big toe nails about 18 months before my wedding by climbing Kilimanjaro. They both had to be removed (not a pleasant experience!). One was able to grow back fully before the wedding but the other has been much slower. It’s now been 3 years since I first damaged it and it’s still not fully grown! Before the wedding I had a pedicure and my pedicurist was able to attach a fake nail. She cut a fake thumbnail to size and glued it with nail glue to the bit of the nail that was aready there (I had about 1/3 to 1/2 of the nail at the time). It lasted a couple of weeks and didn’t seem to damage my exisiting nail.

Incidentally, when I first had to have both nails removed, it was unclear if they were ever going to grow back at all (I’d managed to damage the nailbed quite badly). My (future) brother-in-law joked that I should just get a toenail tattoo. Umm, no!

Post # 9
7075 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

You need a new pair of shoes girl!

Post # 10
9412 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@This Time Round:  You are definitely not supposed to do Shellac on your feet. I do it on my fingernails and have never had a problem. Maybe I have just been lucky? I don’t know.

Post # 11
849 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@Nurse_Bee:  I don’t know if a PP has mentioned it – didn’t read all the comments and no one likes the ‘f’ word but…could it be a fungus? Nail fungus can make the nails brittle and you know, with your demanding job on your feet it could have caused them to pop off.

I would absolutely get acrylic for the day, but do have them looked at.

Post # 12
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

TO @MrsPanda99:  Actually… CND (Creative Nail Design) the people who supposedly came up with the Shellac Method say YOU CAN USE IT FOR A PEDICURE… and they have info on their Website about its application for Nail Techs.

All I know, is I won’t be going anywhere near the CND Product (or Shellac) ever again.

Post # 13
9412 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@This Time Round:  Really? The girl who does my nails so says no Shellac on toes. Now I am wondering if I should even do it on my hands again, lol.

Post # 14
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

TO @MrsPanda99:  Well CND says they are perfectly fine to do… see this their “Techie” Video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkb64fwBcBs

— — —

PS… Meant to tell you the other day that your NEW Panda Avatar reminds me of a couple of “toys” from long ago… one of which is Teddy Ruxpin… and the other (even a closer resemblence) unfortunately the name escapes me right now.  lol

I’m thinking British / English, and might have had the word “top” in his name.

Aaaah, I hate it when I have a brain fart like this and cannot remember.

Post # 15
11300 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

@This Time Round:  What?? I’ve done shellac/gel polish on my fingers and toes for a couple of years and never had an issue. Three different brands (CND, OPI, and Red Carpet Manicure). Shellac is the name for CND’s gel polish, fyi.

Post # 16
2203 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

@Nurse_Bee:  Which toe is it?  If it’s the pink toe, I bet you could just paint the very tip and get away, haha.  (I have very small pinky toenails though.)  But I don’t think there’s anything wrong with acrylics either.

I might be wrong, but I think that runners get bruised/damaged/lost toenails too because of the activity.  So you probably don’t need to worry unless your other toenails look strange too.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors