2+ Dress Brides: Come Share and Tell us Why!

posted 3 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Why do you have two dresses?
    I fell in love with more than one dress and had to have both : (7 votes)
    16 %
    My ceremony and reception venues are very different atmospheres and I bought dresses to match : (2 votes)
    5 %
    I wanted to be more comfortable later in the day/night : (11 votes)
    26 %
    Someone bought me my second (or first) dress : (0 votes)
    I felt like it! : (7 votes)
    16 %
    Something physically or logistically went wrong with my first dress (size, alterations, arrival etc) : (1 votes)
    2 %
    I had dress regret : (7 votes)
    16 %
    I did it to please my ____ (SO, family member, friend, culture, tradition) : (2 votes)
    5 %
    Other (please comment to explain!) : (6 votes)
    14 %
  • Post # 3
    1888 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

I totally love your dresses.  it’s cool that you are doing very different looks and not just variations of the same thing!

My actual wedding and reception is very small, mainly family, it’s traditional, romantic and my dress for that is a gift from my parents.

My second dress is for our ‘second wedding’ as we joke.  Basically all of our friends that can’t come the actual wedding are throwing is a casual, fun party that weekend. The idea was hatched by someone that we should have an re-enact (in a funny way) some sci-fi/fantasy wedding.  I suggested Princess Bride and the idea took off from there.  I’m still hunting down that dress.

Post # 5
    11772 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2013

We had a luncheon wedding, and took a party bus out dancing in the city that night!

So I wore this for my ceremony/reception luncheon

And I wore this out dancing!

Post # 6
    52 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I’m going to be a two dress bride for a couple of reasons. 

1) We are having a campfire wedding and I’d be damned if I got it ruined. I plan on saving it in the hopes it will be re-worn someday.

2) I wanted a more soft, jenny packham style dress but  my FI hated the idea. He is very um…traditional in how a bride should look. 

3)  I have a ball gown to create my princess fantasy and will have a vintage inspired dress to satisfy the part of me who loves loves loves 1920’s-1970’s style. 

I’ll post pictures when I have them both to try on 🙂

Post # 7
    227 posts
    Helper bee

@pharmy:  

@renwoman:  

I love your dresses! I am a big fan of tulle wedding dresses as well!

I think I am also considered a 2 dress bride. My FI is Vietnamese, and we are having 2 traditional Tea Ceremonies at both of our parents’ houses in the morning of our wedding. I still haven’t bought my tea ceremony dress yet, but it will look like something like this…

http://www.weddingelegancesd.com/vietnamese-womens-formalwear-wedding-ao-dai/

Then in the later afternoon, we are having a Western wedding ceremony at our beautiful venue, followed by the cocktail hour and reception, making our whole wedding almost 15 hours long! Phew!

For the Western ceremony and for most of the wedding photo sessions, I will be wearing this dress. I ordered it in ivory, and I will be wearing it most of the night. I’ll change into my “Ao Dai” again during the reception for about half an hour, then changing back into my ivory dress for the rest of the night. 🙂

Post # 10
    199 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

My dress is really $$$ and I’ve planned to resell it since I put down the dress deposit. I didn’t want to risk spilling on it or ripping it or otherwise damaging it so I spent less than $100 to rent a second dress for the reception. There will be a chocolate grooms cake and plenty, plenty or red wine etc. at the reception and I know that I couldn’t relax and enjoy the evening with my (adorably clumsy) fiance in an expensive wedding gown.

Post # 11
    37 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2014

@bridetobee16:  you look stunning in that dress! What dress is it and who is the designer? My fiance is half Vietnamese 🙂 but we’re not gonna do the whole traditional thing. The Ao Dai looks pretty too!

Post # 12
    3394 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@bridetobee16:  Va-va-voom woman! That dress is perfection on you.

A combination of several of those factors apply to me. Cultural, as my family is Chinese and it’s common – even expected – to have multiple dresses at Chinese weddings (even though we’re not doing a particularly Chinese wedding, no tea ceremony or anything like that). We’re also having multiple ceremonies – a legal wedding in Australia, our big wedding in Bali and another event in Switzerland later in the year to celebrate with FI’s family members who can’t travel so far. And, at the end of the day, I love fashion and dresses and had trouble limiting myself to just one gown for the big day!

Post # 13
    1194 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

I keep going back and forth about this. My mother doesn’t like the two-dress thing (she thinks it’s ostentatious) and since she’s the one paying, I’d been leaning toward no. But FI and I went to a wedding in October and he was legitimately confused when the bride only wore one dress so I started thinking about a change-out again. But at the same time I really really love my dress and while it might not be the most dancing-conducive dress around, it’s darn pretty.

Post # 14
    227 posts
    Helper bee

@MrsHotPink:   Thank you so much! 🙂

@jawaiian86:  Thank you! I think I already answered your question in my comment on your latest thread? Wink

@peonyinparis:  Thank you!!! 

@pharmy: Thank you!  I’m not Vietnamese, and I’ve only attended one tea ceremony so far, but I am so excited about our wedding and being a part of my fiancé’s culture and traditions! 

Post # 15
    1662 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Waldorf Astoria, Chicago

I have two dresses, I feel in love with a dress, and didn’t want to spend the money on it…so I bought a dress pre-owned, but couldn’t stop thinking about the first dress.  Then it came up in my size on preownedweddingdress.com, and I went to try it on, it fit perfectly and was in my budget 🙂  so i have a ball gown for the ceremony and my dream dress for my reception!

Ceremony Dress

Reception Dress

Post # 16
    52 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

@kellynn323:  both dresses are beautiful but I am in LOVE with your reception dress! 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors