2 dresses? Vestido de torna boda

posted 2 years ago in Latino
Post # 2
178 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015 - Los Willows Wedding Estate

My parents are from south america (Uruguay) and i haven’t heard about 2 wedding dresses as a tradition. My mom wore only 1 and has never brought up the topic of 2 dresses.

I totally think it is a promotion for the wedding dress industry..remember we live in a consumer society..the goal is to have us spend more $$$.

I say if you dont want 2 dresses then dont do it. and if you do then go for it.

Post # 4
163 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

AmAnDaSaVeD:  Are you talking about the ‘civil?’ In Mexico, you have to go to the registry office with witnesses and be married in the eyes of the State, but then the wedding itself is in a church or wherever, and the families and friends attend. I’m going to wear a shorter, more simple dress for the ‘civil’ and then wear an actual wedding dress for the part with family and friends… 

Post # 6
501 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

My family is Mexican, and I’ve never heard about two dresses either. But honestly, do what you want to. From what I’ve read on these boards plenty of women do it (Latina or not).

About the arras- we’re not doing it. When I first started thinking about a ceremony I considered it (and a lazo too), but it seems so archaic and unfair! I’ll be contributing half the family income, doesn’t that mean I should get arras too? So in the end we scrapped the idea.

Post # 7
163 posts
Blushing bee

AmAnDaSaVeD:  Oh…I can understand a different dress for travelling but I think I’d want to wear the wedding dress for as long as possible! We won’t be doing the Las Arras; we’re not very traditional and to be honest, I don’t know how much it’s done here – that is, I haven’t seen it at the weddings I’ve attended…

Post # 8
265 posts
Helper bee

AmAnDaSaVeD:  Nothing to do with Latino, but I will be wearing a different dress after the ceremony – Actually I just fancy a red dress (with white accessories) for the dancing, plus I will not have to worry about the train, and get to rock 2 gowns!

Post # 10
2896 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

i’m mexican and have never heard of the 2 dress tradition, but a lot of people do it. whatever floats your boat.

we did the lazo and arras in our ceremony.

Post # 11
23 posts
  • Wedding: October 2013 - avazquez's house

Mexican weddings are cool, really traditional

Post # 12
1008 posts
Bumble bee

In the Dominican Republic they have the same tradition, a ceremony dress and a reception dress. Most there still do that (or at least they have at the weddings I’ve gone to over there). 

I am not though; I like my dress too much to want to change. 😀

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors