(Closed) 2 hour drive

posted 5 years ago in Venue
  • poll: Would you be willing to drive or sit on a bus?
    I would be willing to drive myself, would not use bus. : (42 votes)
    70 %
    I would use the bus, but not drive. : (10 votes)
    17 %
    I would not be willing to drive or use the bus. : (8 votes)
    13 %
  • Post # 3
    12833 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

I think 2 hours is a doable drive.  I’d suggest maybe looking into a room block nearby the venue for any guests who’d like the option of staying over, though.  Personally, I would not take the bus (What if I wanted to leave early?  What if I missed it?  What if I’m running late?  Too many what-ifs for me to risk it), but I would do a 2 hour drive, especially if there was a room block!

Post # 4
    4313 posts
    Honey bee

I would drive 2 hours for a wedding, definitely.  The only thing I guess I would worry about for that is accomodation.  If you’re having alcohol at your wedding, 2 hours back if you’ve been drinking is a no bueno.  I’m thinking you would have to ask for a room block somewhere.

Post # 6
    12833 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

@allyfally:  A room block is discounted rate at a local hotel.  It’s a group booking (generally no charge to you!) and your guests get a promo code or link to use when booking to give them discounted rates.  Almost all major hotels offer them!

Post # 7
    4313 posts
    Honey bee

@allyfally:  Like a block of rooms at a hotel you hold that people can reserve if they want & choose not to drive home.  Or I guess you could just put local hotels on the invite & leave it up to your guests.

Post # 9
    5423 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: November 2012

I think 2 hours is doable.  Assuming ceremony and reception were in one spot.  I think I’s be a bit peeved to have to drive 30 min or whatever to a ceremony site then 2 hours to the reception

Post # 10
    2269 posts
    Buzzing bee

I wouldn’t bat an eye lid at driving 2 hours for a wedding.

Post # 11
    3589 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 2000

Sorry, I’ll disagree. If the out of town place isn’t the home of the bride or groom, as a guest I’d feel sort of duped for having to go 2 hours away. And stay in a motel? nope, wouldn’t do it.

I say: have a simpler wedding reception, do something that you can afford in your town (and that assumes that most of your guests are in your town.)

Post # 12
    443 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I’d drive the 2 hours to the wedding and would probably find accomodation to stay the night. The only issue is if I couldn’t afford that – I’d then probably give the wedding a skip.  

Post # 14
    1382 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

FH and I drove almost 5 hours for my friend’s wedding, but I was also her bridesmaid!  

I wouldn’t have any qualms about driving 2 hours if you were a close friend or famiy member, but I think realistically you should expect a lot more declines than you would if the venue were local.  People may not want to spend more on lodging or gas… or they may have random reasons they can’t be away from home for a full day or 2.

Post # 15
    12250 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2013

I think I would LOVE the bus! I’m with some pps, though. If the reception is going to be two hours away, the ceremony should be there, too!

Post # 16
    8426 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2012

@allyfally:  it all depends on the couple for me….. Close friend or family for sure I’d drive. As pps suggest offering a block of rooms is something that’s a must!

I think many people with kids (especially young kids) there might be an issue….. That is if kids aren’t invited? Are kids allowed? 

Are you inviting a lot of out of town guests or does everyone pretty much live where you are? If people are having to fly in from all over then it wouldn’t matter as much but if everyone is pretty in your hometown I’d prob try to find something closer if possible. 

Also it’s going to be hard on you as a bride as well trying to plan especially if you are a DIYer bc it’s not like you can easily hop in the car and head over to the venue 

The topic ‘2 hour drive’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors