(Closed) 2 hour open bar OK?

posted 5 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
601 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

If its lunch I wouldn’t expect a open bar just maybe some mixed drinks but for early afternoon two hours should be plenty people don’t need to be wasted on there drives home.

Post # 4
2497 posts
Buzzing bee

@batbrain:  If that’s what you can afford, then that’s what you can afford.  A two hour open bar instead of a three hour is fine, especially for an afternoon reception.

Post # 5
1573 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@somethingaquamarine:  +1. If it was an evening wedding, I would say even 3 hours is probably a little short on time, but for an afternoon wedding, most guests probably won’t expect an open bar to start with, so 2 hours should be fine IMO.

Post # 6
306 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

2 hours is totally acceptable.

Post # 7
348 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I think you should either splurge for the full three hours (or however long your lunchtime reception is) of open bar OR cut back the bar and host beer/wine/soda/etc. only for the entire thing. 

Here’s why: It’s confusing for a guest to get used to something for free, then go up to the bar later and be taken back when the bar tender asks them for money.

Therefore, it would be my recommendation to keep your bar situation consistent from start to finish — whether that means splurging $100 over budget and having an open bar the whole time, or scaling back the bar the whole time.

Post # 8
1589 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@FutureMrsLAL:  I agree with that but I think she’s only doing beer/wine/soda the whole time.

Hmm regardless of what you pick, I think soda should be free the whole time. 

Post # 9
2390 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

It would only cost $100 more to keep the bar open another hour??  You should DEFINITELY do that.  $100 is nothing – you can cut back somewhere else on something that guests don’t care about.  Decor? Favors?

Post # 10
9395 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

For $100 I’d keep it open the full 3 hours just so people aren’t confused.  But $100 isn’t that much to me, and I don’t know your budget.  I’d be perfectly fine with 2 hours at an afternoon reception though so if you want to go that way I wouldn’t be offended.  People might be confused though.

What food do you have right now?

Post # 12
1846 posts
Buzzing bee

How long is the reception lasting? Is it lasting 2 hours or 3?

Post # 14
1177 posts
Bumble bee

In the afternoon, no one should be offended by this. In fact no one should be “offended” by it, period, but people do have different expectations of evening weddings.

The topic ‘2 hour open bar OK?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors