2 job offers 2 situations £6k difference in salary…

posted 2 years ago in Career
Post # 2
494 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Travelling to Paris often may get old (Paris isn’t that nice IMHO). And would you have to commute before you moved? If it were me, I’d take the closer job. Is there anyway they may compromise and up the salary a bit? 

Congrats, either way! 🙂

Post # 4
494 posts
Helper bee

And also it doesn’t seem like a massive salary increase worth relocating for. Like, it’s not enough extra to compensate for your partner possibly not getting a job?

Post # 5
715 posts
Busy bee

Meky:  Congrats on the two offers. The questions i’d ask myself: 

– how will the commute affect your daily live / stress level / getting up in the morning / finding time for the things you enjoy (or feel obliged to like sports) 

– what do you want your career path to be like? what would you like to achieve in the future? which job is better suited to achieve that? 

– from the  £6k difference how much will be imediatelly eaten up by the job? (commuting? relocating? money during the paris travel …e.g. for food / suitcase / comfy airplane clothes…) 

Post # 7
494 posts
Helper bee

either way good luck and I hope you love your new job 🙂 x

Post # 8
715 posts
Busy bee

Meky:  i guess i am somewhat risk averse… so i would not have FI quit his job without having something new lined up… if you decide on job #2, will you relocate first and see how things go? and he’ll join you if he gets a job? 

Post # 11
484 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2015

Meky:  Going onto on the information here, and my gut instinct.

I’d take the first, lower paid, but closer job. As you said, for £400 a month, you might have to uproot your FI and his career. Unless there is significant career prospects with the Paris job, I’d decline.

Post # 12
13020 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Paris, or travel for any job gets old pretty fast.  As much as I love to travel, I wouldn’t want to do it regularly to any place for an extended period, once would be enough.  That increase in salary is not worth it to move so far from my family and for my SO to have to find a new job, unless HE truely wanted to and thought it would be a good experience for both him and me.  Just for myself, I’d take the closer one.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors