1007 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I picked 2, before realizing we didn’t really want a wedding. So go for it! 🙂

Post # 4
7654 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

How many additonal bridesmaids are you having? If it is just the two, I would pick both. If you are having just one more BM I would reconsider and make no one a maid of honor.

Post # 5
208 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I’m having two! I really couldn’t chose between my cousin (I was her MOH 3 years ago, and closest to a sister I have) and my best friend (who I am also being MOH for a few months before my own wedding). It was both or none for me and I couldnt have none!

Post # 6
3084 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@ksodergren:  are you sure she would be hurt? You do have a sister. I would assume that a friend would pick a sister over me. But you can have 2 if you want. There’s no problem with that. 

Post # 7
2338 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@ksodergren:  I didn’t pick one at all, just 4 bridesmaids.  I didn’t want to rank my friends and there wasn’t one that’s clearly closer than the others.  I think having them both sounds like a nice way to honor them 🙂

Post # 8
4483 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

How many girls total?

Post # 9
47 posts
  • Wedding: June 2012

I had two. My SIL who was my Matron of Honor and my college rommate who was my maid of honor. I only had two standing up with me.

Post # 10
3476 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

It is most definitely NOT tacky.  That said, I wouldn’t do it because I think it’s hard to split the role – someone is the one walking in front of the bride and standing next to her.  But, if you want to do it – go right ahead!  I opted to go entirely family for my ladies, so having my sister was an easier decision than many others make.

Post # 11
19 posts
  • Wedding: March 2015

I’ve been a co-MOH before. It worked out fine with me. It was for my best friend’s wedding and we are part of a triangle of best friends.  The 3 of us go back to elementary school. She didnt have any sisters.  We shared MOH responsibilities, which included budgets, so its was a little easier doing it as a team.  We had a blast doing it.  We decided to have 1 stand next to the bride in the ceremony and the other got to sit by the bride at the reception and give the MOH toast.

Post # 12
1721 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I don’t think its tacky at all!  I’m doing the same thing.  My sister will be my matron of honor, and my cousin my maid of honor. They are both fine with it and actually have said its nice to have someone else to plan the bridal showers/bachelorette parties…takes some of the stress off!

Post # 13
1625 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@ksodergren:  I think it depends on how many bridesmaids total you will have. I was a BM in my friends wedding recently, and she only had 3 total including me. One was her sister, the other a friend we are both close with. She made her sister her Matron of Honor and our friend her Maid of Honor.. So I was the only regular one. And honestly my feelings were a little bit hurt. I think she should have just picked one or none. BUT obvs it was her call and I didn’t say anything or act weird.

Post # 14
1992 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I was a one of 2 MOH’s in a wedding last spring and it was a huge pain in the ass. It was impossible to co-ordinate showers, bachelorette, gifts, responsibilities. I never knew what the other MOH was doing, and she never knew what I was doing. We lived 3 hours apart from each other (and 3 hours from the bride) and it was just such a mess.

It really watered down the specialness. I didn’t feel “honored” at all. Just like I had no idea what my role was– who holds her bouquet? who stands next to her? who fixes her train? Myself and the other MOH had no idea. In the end it was like neither of us got the distinction of being the MOH. I would have one MOH or none at all. 

Post # 15
5661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

I was just one of 2 MOH’s and I really liked it. We were friendly before the wedding and it was nice having someone to share responsibilities with/bounce ides off off.

Post # 16
1887 posts
Buzzing bee

@ksodergren:  Can you just skip having a Maid of Honor?

I am in a similar situation, and I am not designating a MOH. I find this to be the most mature and sensitive solution.  I have my two sisters and my best friend as bridesmaids.  I was my best friend’s MOH in her wedding and would love to return the honor, but I know my family would be offended if I placed a friend over a sister.  Furthermore, I am not willing to say one sister matters more than the other.

When I looked at it realistically, ranking people I love seemed like a guaranteed way to hurt feelings and, thus, a selfish thing to do.  This isn’t myspace and I’m not 12 years old- there is I need to rank my top friends. It seemed imature. My bridal party is equally beloved by me, and no one’s feelings will get hurt if I don’t pick a MOH. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors