(Closed) 2 months pay for an e ring

posted 8 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Hostess
18646 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I think it’s stupid too!  Just because you make a lot doesn’t mean you have to have a ridiculously expensive ring!

Post # 4
4567 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

*shrugs* It’s a marketing thing, even though it’s pretty much what mine is going to cost. Granted, Mr. KM makes alot less than some of the FIs on the board, but it’s how he’s doing it and I am going to be THRILLED with whatever it s.

Post # 5
3564 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I”m pretty sure that was a concept developed by De Beers, and I thought it was “supposed to be” 3 months pay…regardless, pretty ridiculous. Total marketing thing, as KMSull said. People should buy the rings they can afford to buy, regardless of how many months salary that comes out to.

Post # 6
987 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Huh, I always heard 3.  I don’t think it’s that outrageous for something you’re going to wear for the rest of your life but I also don’t think that’s the best way to decide how much to spend.  Everyone’s comfort level is going to be different.  For us, we just wanted something that FI could comfortably pay for without going into debt.  We’re a little bit older and more established so that definitely worked out in my favor! 

Post # 7
2781 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Totally a marketing thing. I would have felt so uncomfortable knowing that FH had spent that much on a ring – it’s not about how much the ring cost, it’s about the sentiment behind it and, to risk sounding like a cliché, you can’t put a price on that.

Post # 8
5921 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

Fi spent about 1 months salary on my ring, maybe a little less.  He probably could have spent 2, but then we wouldn’t have been able to eat.  LOL.

Post # 9
47 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2010

before or after taxes? haha

Post # 10
11327 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

I always heard 2. My feelings? meh. I think a guy should buy what he can afford, what he loves, and what he thinks his fiance will love. I don’t know how my FI decided how much to spend on my ring. I think that he just picked the size diamond was appropriate and paid what it cost (which did happen to be about 2 mo salary I am guessing?). I don’t think he would have bought a bigger ring if it was less expensive, because I *think* he spent a bit more on my ring than he had planned.

Post # 11
2144 posts
Buzzing bee

I hadn’t ever heard of this until after Mr.JW bought my ering, and he hadn’t heard of it either. His response was “why didn’t somebody tell me this before I bought the ring??” He went WAY over the 2/3month rule (I think I heard 3 as well), but he paid almost all of it off right away. Obviously if I knew he had been planning to get me a ring I would have tried to steer him in a more affordable direction, but I seriously had no clue. Whatever ther ring-buyer is willing to pay for a ring, the ring-reciever should just be happy and grateful though. Sometimes Mr.JW regrets buying such an expensive ring (it really wiped out his savings) and sometimes he doesn’t. I love it, but I would have loved anything from him. Overall, I think the “rule” is stupid, though maybe it could be a good guideline for those guys who aren’t very good at budgeting and often over spend and such, like saying you can afford any ring that is 2xmonthly salary or less. Just depends on the salary I think.

Post # 12
191 posts
Blushing bee

I think it’s ridic. What the heck am I going to do with a ring that’s worth 2 months of his salary?!?! Our price range is less than 1 month of his salary… but it depends on what he’s making and what you want. I don’t want the big bling bling because that’s just not me so I’m fine with something that’s less expensive. I would rather see that than money go toward our future (for me this means A HOUSE!).

Post # 13
7779 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I think it’s ridiculous. We just spent what he could afford at the time. He paid for it all up front, no financing.

Post # 14
654 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I agree in its ridiculous. its all a marketing ploy. Just like you HAVE to have THIS bridal item. I am in love with my ring, i couldnt ask for a better ring and it was about 900 dollars. We bought it an an antique fair in the bay area and I am so in love with it!

Post # 15
4385 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I think it’s a bit silly to say there is a set “appropriate” amount. Some women get rings that are worth way more than that, some way less. It depends on how much your guy can and will spend.

Post # 16
342 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I think its a silly rule, the couple should decide (together IMHO) what amount they’re comfortable spending on a ring.  Do you really want to have joint debt after you’re married because you just “had to have” a 3 carat ring?

The topic ‘2 months pay for an e ring’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors