2 of my friends were taken advantage of. (vent)

posted 2 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 2
5032 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

insurance should cover both situations.  Were the residences insured?

Post # 3
716 posts
Busy bee

Security deposit?

But, before you assume all is lost, file a police report and sue in small claims court.  This is what Judge Judy is for.

Post # 5
5032 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

TheMrsTulip:  Rental dwelling insurance covers vandalism, subject to the policy deductible.  There is usually a small amount of personal property coverage as well to cover items left there by the owners – like appliances.  It does not cover tenant’s property.  

Definitely have your friends call the insurance companies that cover the properties.    

Post # 6
2390 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

And this is what many rental place charge non refundable security deposits.

Post # 8
1634 posts
Bumble bee

This happened to my grandparents and unfortunately its a risk you take when renting properties. Over & above the civil suits they have files, they can look into insurance, or increase their security deposit in the future, but thats all I can think of. It’s infuriating that people have such a lack of respect for other peoples’ property, but you cant fix other people’s poor manners. I’m sorry that happened to your friends! 

Post # 9
1829 posts
Buzzing bee

TheMrsTulip:  Yes, it will depend on the insurance policy, but your friends will need to contact their insurers to discuss this and see what they are entitled to. 

The insurance will probably request a police report for any stolen goods and photos of any damage caused so your friends need to get on top of that too. 

Unfortunately, this is a risk you take when renting properties. I’m sorry for what your friends are going through. 

Post # 10
544 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

Would you mind answering what state are they in? Landlord/Tenant laws are state based, so it varies from state to state. The system seems so terrible and messed up in situations like this, I spent my whole summer helping my mother mess with the worst tenant we’ve ever had. Our property is in MA, which has some of the most crazy tenant laws possible, landlords are at a severe disadvantage. Altogether, it took about 7 months to get the tenant out and we can’t collect from her either. 

It’s sad, but in the long run the missed money isn’t as important as other things in life.

Post # 11
2493 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I’m a landlord. 

Tenant issues suck, and yes, in some states, the laws tend to advantage tenants. This is why one of the best pieces of advice I’ve gotten is to screen your tenants well because one issue like your friends’ and it will make you want to poke out your eye. It’s awful, and I’m sorry that they had to go through all that. 

So here are few tips to screening your tenants well: 

1. Don’t call their current landlord. Call the landlord BEFORE that one. If they are a bad tenant, their current landlord will say anything to get them out, but a landlord they’re no longer living under won’t hold back. If you’ve got gaps in the rental history (or no history at all) and/or incomplete/sketchy information, then it’s not a deal-breaker, but it can be a red flag. 

2. They should have insurance that covers some of this type of thing. Take pictures BEFORE tenants move in, and you can even have them sign off on your photos that they are an accurate reflection of the space. They can also take their own and you can sign off on theirs too. Then take photos AFTER they leave. 

3. Ask for a deposit. 

4. As a landlord, I have to say that I’ve found that almost 90% of the time, avoiding conflict is cheaper, and in some sense, a certain frame of mind can be beneficial, which is that in exchange for being a landlord (making money), you sign up for problems. Solve the problems; keep your eye on the property. Don’t bother with justice; don’t worry about the people. And sometimes that means having to swallow the hard pill–ie, while it might be possible for your friends to pursue further legal actions (like wage garnishment, perhaps), it’s a question of whether the time and stress is worth it to do that. 

5. Don’t rent to friends or acquaintances. Keep the relationship business. 

6. Consider “cash for keys.” This is when you offer full deposit back if they just leave, which can get them out of the whole “nothing to lose” mentality. If I had inherited tenants that were 3 months non-payment, I might choose this option. 

Sorry, hon–but consider this: in the end, your friends are lucky to own income property, and honestly, for most landlords, events such as these are the exceptions, not the norm. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors