2 options for 'walking down the aisle' music. Help me choose one…

posted 3 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: which song do i select?
    Bridal Chorus by Wagner : (4 votes)
    14 %
    Canon in D major by Pachelbel : (25 votes)
    86 %
  • Post # 3
    7195 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

@futuremrscap:  Canon, but I’m biased, I love it. More to the point, you prefer it.

Usually the celebrant tells people to stand for the bride. People will know.

If your reasoning was correct (people won’t know to stand because it doesn’t have “Here comes the bride”), then Bridal Chorus would be the only entance music used ever.

Post # 4
    595 posts
    Busy bee

My daughter is using “Canon in D” next month.  The music will change to that song when it’s time for her flower girls to enter.  The church wedding coordinator explained to me that they close the doors at the back of the aisle when the flower girls start down the aisle.  When the bride is in place and the pianist reaches the appropriate point in the music, they re-open the doors, which is the cue for the minister to give the audience the signal to rise.  The part where she is walking down the aisle will be played louder and more dramatically.  If you listen to this video, her walk starts at about :50. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6heUdRr-E

Hope that helps!

Post # 5
    34 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: November 2014

I love Canon in D but apparently it’s my MIL’s ‘funeral song’ so I’m not allowed to walk down the isle to it 🙁

Post # 6
    7195 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

@Nicky16:  What?? Just when I thought I’d heard it all.

I think you should use it anyway. Just because it has special meaning to her, doesn’t mean she owns it. She has no business telling you what you can and can’t use at your wedding, unless there is a really, really good reason.

Post # 7
    226 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

I personally love both, so what we are doing is having Canon in D for the bridal party procession, and then I will be walking in to the Bridal Chorus.  this way, I get the best of both worlds! 🙂

Post # 8
    34 posts
    Newbee

@paula1248:  

I was kind of annoyed when she told me it was ‘her’ song (especially when I know heaps of people who have used it at weddings) but I just let this one go. I could have insisted I used it on the principal of things but I didn’t really have my heart set on using it anyway and have since found another instrumental song I like better. I actually get along with my MIL really well so it wasn’t worth making her upset over a song.

Post # 13
    34 posts
    Newbee

@futuremrscap:  I am using the instrumental to ‘A thousand years’ (the wedding song from Twilight). I loved the song from it but wanted an instrumental so it is perfect for me lol. It’s done by a band called ‘The piano guys’. It’s really lovely 🙂

Post # 14
    108 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

I’m going to echo other’s sentiments and say you should use Canon during your wedding party’s processional and Bridal Chorus during your own. It sounds like Bridal Chorus really strikes a chord with you (no put intended), so I think you should pick that one. You want to feel something special as you’re walking down the aisle.

And yes – three songs are fine! 🙂  I coordinate plenty of weddings that feature one song for the seating of the mothers/grandmothers, another for the entrance of the officiant and the wedding party, and then a third for the bride. It’s cool.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors