Post # 1
I’ve probably talked this subject to death by now, but basically my husband and I had originally planned on TTC in October, on/around our first anniversary. But I decided that I didn’t want to (couldn’t?) be 6 months pregnant for our 2-week mediterranean trip (8-hour flight) to visit his family, which will likely be April 16-April 27, approximately. Obviously, I know that it could take a long time for us to conceive, but I’m just sayin’ best-case-scenario is that it happens right away. So we decided to delay our TTC start-date until early December, so I would be no more than 4.5-5 months (best-case-scenario).
FWIW, we can’t move up the trip since I have a series of work deadlines from February 15-April 15. We also don’t want to put the trip off for a couple years, since we already have and it’s important to DH to go before we have kids.
So what would you do?
Post # 2
anonybee0810: TTC in December sounds like it won’t be too early in case you get pregnant first try or too late after the trip. Also, if you guys plan to share the news of your pregnancy to family, 4-5 months is a great time to share with the news. How exciting! Good luck!
Post # 3
I don’t think it matters whether you are 3-4 months or 2 months, but I absolutely would not risk traveling overseas at 6 months. My doctor told me that after 24 weeks, I should not travel anywhere I was not comfortable delivering.
Post # 4
I’d wait until December – you might not even be allowed to travel oversees at 6 months (your doctor may place travel restrictions on you at that point). 4-5 months really sounds like the sweet-spot to travel anyways, since you’re hopefully not sick anymore, but you’re also not so big that you’re really uncomfortable.
Post # 5
I voted to wait until after the trip, simply because chancing being sick or tired or less than 100% while on an overseas trip sounds less than ideal. However, if you don’t want to wait that long, I’d do January-March
Post # 6
4-5 would be perfect, but I was also okay with going when I would have been late 6 months. Before we booked our one week italy trip, we called my dad (a family doctor who also does OB work) and asked and he said that as long as we took precautions, knew I’d be more tired, knwe where to get medical help if necessary, it’d be fine.
We mc that cycle and are now pregnant again after three months, so now I’ll be about 14-15 weeks Which is fine. I’d rather be a bit farther along but it’s non-refundable haha.
So, i think you’re fine either way OP. After all, there’s no guarantee it will happen right away.
Post # 7
Wait till after the trip, or try during the last week (if your cycle works out). You might get terrible morning sickness, or food aversions, and that would seriously ruin your trip. Part of going abroad is trying the delicious food, not to mention wine and beer. I’d wait.
Post # 8
We only tried in the same month as the vacation. I didn’t want to risk being sick/food aversions/MC etc on a long flight or in another country.
Post # 9
I’d want to wait until after a big trip like that- I wouldn’t want anything to get in the way of enjoying all of the food/wine/activities that a European vacation could offer.
Post # 10
I was in this situation before and I waited until the month of the trip/after the trip to TTC so there wouldnt be a chance I was pregnant ON the tirp.
Post # 11
We are in the same boat (but with Thailand and a little more flexibility in scheduling). We will start TTC in mid-November and if we aren’t successful by January, we will hold off until after the trip. Our goal is to be early second trimester, after momorning sickness passes.
Post # 12
It really depends on how patient you are to TTC! When I was ready, I was READY, and I’m not sure if someone could have convinced me to wait too much extra time, even if their reasons were totally logical. That said, I’m currently 9 weeks pregnant, and have been soo sick for the past 3 weeks or so. I would not want to be on a trip right now, when all food is unappealing and I’m constantly nauseous/gagging/throwing up! So keep that risk in mind if you do try before the trip. There are so many unknowns though—who knows how long it will take, who knows if you’ll get much sickness, etc…..so be mentally prepared for all possible outcomes. Good luck!!
Post # 13
I’d wait until after the trip. I hated being pregnant and for me I wouldn’t have enjoyed a trip nearly as much.