2+ year engagement experiences?

posted 3 years ago in 20 Something
Post # 3
1526 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

@aquarius_91:  Today is my 3 year engagement anniversary actually! We got engaged right before my 20th birthday, and a week after his 22nd. I honestly have to say there are some things that i would start right away especially if you are aware of your budget. If you have a tight budget then start picking up things on a good deal here and there. Get a general idea of what you want and where you want it. Having a long engagement allows you to research every possible option. Like for me i knew my dress before i even tried it on, i knew where i wanted it, who i wanted for vendors and so on. It has made this past year such a breeze. On the other side i think a long engagement takes away a lot of the spark and excitement. For us it seemed like people almost forgot we were engaged until we actually started planning. These are just my thoughts though:)

Post # 5
4601 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

He proposed on September 16, 2010 and we’re getting married in March 2014, so we’re having a little over 3 year engagement. I do recommend starting early and spacing out. It’s something I wish I would have done, but I spent most of my engagement thinking that I had more than enough time to take care of everything. Now, we’re 260 days out, I’m in an accelerated program of sorts at school and I still have a good bit to do. I booked my venue and bought my dress a year out (to the day actually) and then I just kind of, stopped, for a few months. Now I’m starting to stress out because I’ll be graduating soon and we have a lot of other things going on and I’m rushing around trying to get things done. 

Post # 6
2276 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@aquarius_91:  we were engaged for over 2 years. I didnt even think (ok, maybe a little) or plan (book vendors, dress shop) until a year out.

Post # 7
2276 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@aquarius_91:  I think a smart thing to do would be putting money back for the wedding. We didnt do that, but it would have been helpful. 🙂

Post # 8
1840 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

@aquarius_91:  People will take you seriously, don’t you worry.

We booked both our photographer and venue 2 years and 1 month away from the wedding. I always prefaced our wedding date with, “Yes, we know it’s way out, but blah blah blah reasons why we’re doing this early blah blah.”

My dead serious face also let them know I wanted to book and I wanted to book now.

🙂

I’m 6 months into our 2 year, 4 month engagement…it’s fabulous! Those 6 months went quickly. If I only had a year to plan this whole dingdang thing, I’d go crazy!

Post # 9
2132 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

As long as you’re really sure that’s when & where you’ll want to do it, I think it’s a good idea for the reasons your friend said. We are holding off on booking stuff because we’ve been engaged for like a year and a half and have changed dates & plans so many times, haha. There’s other outside factors that will affect our plans so we have to wait for that kind of stuff to shake itself out. 

Post # 10
2164 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

We have a 2+ year engagement, and we’re less than a year away (yay finaaaaally) and I’ve been planning since about 18 months. I’m glad we booked the venue when we did. I like being able to space everything out. But beware of how often you can change your mind about something!

Post # 11
2151 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

We will be having a 2 year enagement & plan on starting to plan/book things asap!

Post # 12
54 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

Now I feel weird. I’ve been engaged for almost 5 years, it will be exactly 5 1/2 years on our wedding day.

We got engaged right after I graduated high school. I know. But we knew we wanted to get married so we figured why not? We knew it would be a long engagement – I don’t think we planned it to be THIS long though – so we had no qualms about it.

Now we definitely have our date set and we’ve been spacing everything out deposit-wise so we don’t go into debt. We’ve been saving pretty much this whole time so we want to make every penny worth it!

I would advise you to start saving money now, even a little bit every week, so you have some saved up for the big purchases. Your dress, the venue, and the food are definitely huge chunks of the budget! Then just go bit by bit with all the planning and get the big stuff done first like the venue and date. Most things can wait until you get closer to the day.

Post # 13
3084 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@aquarius_91:  I am spacing it out. Just because it was nice to separate all of the down payments. It didn’t seem as much space out. Plus we got the bridal party gift already, which is nice because we won’t have to worry about them next year. i also just liked getting things done. 

Post # 14
51 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

We got engaged 17 Aug 2011 and our wedding date is 14 Sept 2013 and I started making enquiries immediately. I didn’t preface them with a reason as to why we were having a long engagement, because quite frankly it is none of their business. I did however ask if they were taking bookings for 2013 and if they would honour their current prices. 

We made our venue booking (our first booking) in Dec 2011. We had all vendors booked and deposits paid by Aug 2012. 

Post # 15
951 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013 - A Beautiful converted Barn

we got engaged Oct 25th 2011 and are getting married October 26th 2013 – 2 years 1 day 🙂

Our venue was booked by Jan 2012, My dress in the Feb, caterers buy the march, DJ, cake, flowers sorted by June 2012. i would strongly recommend planning early. i havent stressed out about the wedding at all (yet) and i put that down to having things organised early on. its also meant that we have saved exactly what we wanted and dont have to borrow any money from banks/family!

yay for long engagements!!!

Post # 16
2042 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@aquarius_91:  Our engagement will be 2 years almost to the day!  I am SOOOO glad we waited 2 years.  We looked for venues for 9 months and all locations and finally decided on one.  We booked it a little over a year before the date.   We basically booked everything a year before and now all that is left is the small stuff….I suggest doing some of the small stuff sooner though.  I am a little over 2 months out and I wish I had bought some of these small things earlier. (garter, placecards, BM gifts, shoes..etc)

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors