2 year engagement frustrations

posted 3 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
9226 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2018

@ltj14:  I know exactly how you feel! We are 18 months in, no idea how much longer to go! A couple of my friends have gotten engaged since I have, one of whom got married in December, the other will probably get married before me too. I wish we could get married sooner but we can’t even set an official date and start booking things yet. I am here if you need someone to talk to! FI got engaged on our 3 year anniversary, and will probably have been dating 6-7 years by the time we get married.

Post # 4
1076 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

UUUGH!! I KNOWWWW!!!

I have had sooo many friends get engaged after us and are just now getting married or have already gotten married. We still have 12 months to go even though we’re already 20 months in! It’s DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

You have no idea how many times I’ve asked to just drop the whole wedding shennanigan and elope. Alas… We will continue on this long journey until August 1, 2014.

Good luck, honey! Hopefully it will all be over soon.

Post # 7
287 posts
Helper bee

I’m not in this situation yet, but I am going to be! We’re planning on a 2.5 year engagement. But I guess in that time, we’ll be saving for our own house and everything, so hopefully that helps to speed things up. 

Post # 9
287 posts
Helper bee

@ltj14:  I know that I will get impatient! The only reason we’re going down the long engagment road is because we want to save for a 20% deposit on a home loan and for the entire wedding and honeymoon first.

Post # 10
1076 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@Exie:  That was our reasoning behind the 2+ year engagement. We’re paying for the entire wedding and honeymoon without getting into a penny of debt and using any gifts for the downpayment on the house we’re dreaming of getting one day.

Honestly, it’s worth the wait. I saw all of those girls freaking out, so I know what not to do.

Plus it definitely is building the anticipation. Can’t WAIT until the big day!! Plus we’ll be financially on the right foot which will be amazing.

Post # 11
9226 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2018

@ltj14:  Thanks 🙂

Post # 12
858 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

If it makes you feel any better, I work at a bridal shop so I see a ton of brides at all stages of their engagements, and the ones with engagements longer than a year are always waaaaay less stressed in the few months leading up to the wedding than the ones who were engaged for a year and less. Small consolation now, but just remember that you have all of that extra time to plan and save, so when the time does come you’ll be able to slow down and really enjoy the time directly leading up to your wedding, rather than scrambling to get everything pinned down!

Post # 13
287 posts
Helper bee

@JackiBean:  I agree with that. As soon as we have the money and the house, we’re getting married! It would be much sooner if we didn’t need to save, but it’ll be fantastic to enter married life debt-free.

Post # 14
2657 posts
Sugar bee

I can definitely relate.  We’ll be engaged for about 2 years by the time we get married.  The way I look at it though is that this isn’t a race, and I know that if I treat it like a race then I’m just going to be disappointed.  I like to sit back, have a drink, and just enjoy being engaged.  It’s (hopefully) the only time in my life I’ll be engaged and planning my wedding, so why not savor it?

Post # 15
5207 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

@ltj14:  Um, what’s stopping you from getting married sooner?

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors