2 year engagements – dress shopping?

posted 3 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Is it too early to start looking for dresses? 1.5 years left until the wedding!
    Yes, you might regret it later. : (36 votes)
    30 %
    No, it's not too early to at least get an idea of what you like! : (85 votes)
    70 %
  • Post # 3
    317 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

@lovelyhulagirl33:  It doesn’t hurt to start looking.  It took me 3 months to track down a specific dress I wanted. I called over 300 bridal stores in 10 states and the United Kingdom before I found someone who had it.  Just because you look doesn’t mean you have to buy it since you have a lot of time. It may be more fun and relaxing and not that you are in a time crunch.  Make it a point to go once a month just for fun with you girls.  Then when you find the dress you will be stress free and happy!  Good luck and happy hunting!

Post # 4
    1888 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

@lovelyhulagirl33:  It given you time to narrow down what you want and with the pressure of time taken away you can also look/wait around for sales and other deals.

Post # 6
    9204 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2018

I don’t have a 2 year engagement, I have a 3.5+ year engagement, but I looked online at dresses right away, and went to try on a dress 6 months after we got engaged. But I did only try on one and haven’t tried on any since. I will probably start looking to buy at the 1.5 year mark. I don’t think it’s too early 🙂

Post # 9
    720 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

@lovelyhulagirl33:  Honestly I started looking for my dress a month ago. I had an original dress about a year ago. I had my mind made up and than changed my mind. I wouldn’t start looking until about a year before the wedding. This change thats for sure! It doesn’t hurt to find the styles you like and don’t like but dresses change from season to season, some go out of style etc so for shape its a good idea, to make a committment, I would say at the 1 year mark. Most dresses take 9-12 months to order (but again that depends cuz I have heard of people getting it sooner than that). 
    I went shopping by myself so I didn’t have to hear other peoples opinions, I picked something I liked!  

Post # 11
    1071 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2014 - Greenbrier Country Club

Psh. I started right a way. but I just have that personality. I have all my vendors booked, and a lot of other details take care of. 

Post # 12
    491 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2015

I’m 1.5 years out right now but I haven’t gone dress shopping yet. I think it’s too soon. My fear is that I’ll have dress regret so I’m going to wait until after the holidays before I start dress shopping.

Post # 13
    1715 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

Hi! So I am currently in a three year engagement, I know long 🙁  Any who, it is never to early to start looking at dresses now lol.  Now for trying on dresses, it is all about you and where you are.  Don’t go trying on dresses unless you are prepared to find the dress and buy it.  I decided to start looking about six months after we got engaged because I’m picky and thought it would take me forever to find a dress I wanted, I planned on just seeing which shapes looked best on me. However, the third dress I tried on was the one I fell in love with.  So what did I do? I bought it!  Now over six months later and just under 2 years away from the wedding I have not regretted it once. Have not had a single ounce of dress regret.  So my advice, start looking, see what you like, don’t rush into a dress.  This gives you as little or as much time as you need to find the perfect wedding dress.  Don’t be afraid to buy a dress if you love it, do what you want, when you want to do it 🙂

Post # 14
    1929 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

We had a 19 month engagement, I bought my dress 1.5 years before the wedding.  I loved it the day I bought it, and loved it on my wedding day… And a picture 🙂

Post # 15
    2125 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

I am not yet officially engaged, but he has the ring. That being said, I think the second he proposes, I will want to try on dresses. I won’t make a firm decision until the 1 year mark either. As for everything else, like venders and venue, I will book that up quick. Venue will be first for me.

Post # 16
    2151 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

My engagement is 2 years long and I’ve been looking online to get an idea. I probably won’t be going to try on dresses until next summer, so one year away from our wedding day. I don’t think it would be a problem to look with 1.5 years left at all! 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors