2 years to go and nothing to do.

posted 3 years ago in Logistics
Post # 2
47 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2015

I’m in the similar boat as you; we got engaged just under two years. Now I’m sitting closer to year and a half mark. We’ve already booked the venue and photographer. We are still looking into the caterer and after that probably look into the DJ. But once that’s all done, I’m not sure what to do. I’m worried that if I start picking things now, my style will change and I’ll have to try and return things.

I would also love some advice for others who have been in similar circumstances and at what point they started to buy things for their wedding.

I’m in the similar boat as you , we got engaged just under two years. Now i’m sitting closer to year year and a half mark I’ve booked the veune and photographer. I’m looking into the caterer

Post # 3
610 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014 - Smithfield Center

This far in advance, I wouldn’t really start planning as much as I would seriously start saving. Even if you’re only putting 20 dollars aside a month, it helps. I know you have the venue booked and that’s great, but you don’t want to start booking TOO much this early, since they could easily go out business, etc. Things happen – trust me. I would really just look around at ideas, get some ideas for decorations and don’t settle on anything just yet. Then in about 7-8 months when you’re about a little less than 1 year and 1/2, you can start booking the rest of the things you’ll need and then start making decisions on decorations.

But definitely give yourself time to look at decor, etc. because you will change your mind. Even if you’re convinced right now you love something, you’ll change your mind at least once before the big day; don’t make a decision on something this early and end up with regret.

Post # 4
47 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2015

cwedding14: Thanks for the advice…. I never thought about the vendors going out of business. 

Post # 5
1136 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

amandahath:  We’re at the just under a year mark now but we’ve already been engaged for over 8 months so all up it’s a relatively long engagement!

We’ve booked all the big stuff now but otherwise I just spent a lot of time really researching everything and getting a really clear idea about what we wanted, what we could afford etc. Its given us plenty of time to be super organised which is great! I can be a massive stress head so I think if I was organising everything in a short space of time I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed it!

Just have fun looking on wedding blogs, reading wedding magazines, getting ideas etc so that when it is time to book/purchase everything else you need you have a really strong idea of what you want to do 🙂

Post # 6
73 posts
Worker bee

I have the same problem! I got engaged on January 10th and we have decided on a 12/2015 wedding… thats basically two years! We have to find a venue early due to early December dates being taken up quick! I don’t want to miss out on my venue due to waiting too long to book it. But I get bored. I want to plan so bad! 

Post # 7
76 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2016 - The Fox Hollow

I am in a similar situation.. FH and I have been engaged since November 2013 and aren’t getting married until Summer 2016 so we can save and FH can finish grad school.  We are booking our venue this weekend after A LOT of searching.  After that, we’ll probably book the church just so it’s out of the way and then we’ll probably take a break for a while.  I definitely want the photographer booked by the end of this summer, but other than that I’m in no rush to find the other vendors.

Post # 8
1076 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Ugh, honey, I am on the tail end of your problem. We got engaged Jan 1 2012. Our wedding is this August 1. A 32 month engagement SUCKS.

Honestly, my biggest regret is not waiting and giving my decisions more time. I was so excited to start planning, we booked a venue after being engaged for 10 months. 22 months to sit on our venue and just try to fit everything around it. I regret that because in all that time, I found so many other venues I wish I could have looked at first. Things changed with the family and suddenly, because of certain aspects of travel, they can’t come anymore. I wish I would have known.

We’re having a destination wedding in California because our families would have a hard time coming to Hawaii where FI and I live. But now that half the family can’t come anyway, I wish with all my heart we could have just had the wedding here on Oahu. But I jumped the gun and booked something closer to them.

WAIT. Be patient! Don’t start planning until 10 months out. There are many vendor decisions I regret too, like my photographer, and even my dress! Oh my God, do I regret getting my dress in 2012. There’s just too much time sitting around doing NOTHING and second guessing every decision you’ve made.

What I decided to do after the initial bout of regret was make a planning chart. Each month I give myself a list of items I’ll allow myself to book. BUT THAT’S IT! I learned my lesson the hard way.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

4 months to go for me! Even though it feels like forever, the last 8 months really fly by!

Post # 9
1076 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

BriteCrayon:  A friend gave me a great idea. She told me to plan an engagement party before planning a wedding. That way, it would take my mind off of the wedding and I could focus on something smaller. That helped the planning bug for a while…

…until it was over.

Post # 10
2264 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

amandahath:  Oh I can sympathize with this! We are having a two year engagment, also!

We are now 15 months out from our wedding and our venue is booked (as well as food, cake, chairs, tables, linens), our photographer is booked, our band is booked, our church is booked, and our guest transportation is booked!

I don’t know about you, but we our having our wedding in a VERY popular city so it is not uncommon to book things so far out, anyway. Now I can worry about getting addresses and proper names for all of our guests and getting out STDs by the late end of summer without juggling trying to book some of the important things!

Post # 11
24 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2015

I am also having an engagement that is 2 years long. We decided on a long engagement,  mainly because of the costs involved (we are paying for 90% of total cost. The first year is to save for wedding, the second is to save for honeymoon.

We have been engaged for 4 months and have booked our ceremony/reception place – they had limited dates even though it’s 2 years away. Our photography/video is slso booked 🙂

I have already purchased 2 dresses (I know – crazy!) but they were cheap secondhand dresses from eBay 🙂

I have been slowly buying things for the wedding, and most of the time I am glad to have the reduced pressure of a long engagement… but sometimes I get so excited and wish it was much sooner!

Plus more time = more time to DIY! 😀

Post # 13
21 posts
Newbee

I am the same, 2 years plus form engagement to wedding. It is so hard not to jump right in there and plan! I have settled with asking my Sister to be MOH and nieces to be bridesmaids, we will ask his sister in the summer and go and see venues. I have had initial let go and browse dresses because I want to appointment. Found one I like but many more to try on yet to make sure and plenty of time to do it. I haev conceded and bought my shoes! 😀 they were on sale, it would have been rude not too. My FI and I discuss ideas but know we will wait before booking anything. He needs to finish his degree and I need to finish my PhD so we both have (and it pains me to say it and doesn’t necessarily feel that way) bigger priorities. Give yourself browsing time, you could visit different places every couple of months or go dress shopping and browsing every few months, nothing wrong with looking so long as you are not booking. hugs feel the same way as you!

Post # 14
11717 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I wouldn’t plan this far in advance.  What if the vendors go out of business?  Then you’re out of luck and a vendor.  What if you change your mind?  Then you’re stuck. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors