(Closed) 20 cent extra postage for ribbon? seriously??

posted 9 years ago in Paper
Post # 3
6010 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

Yeah, I’ve heard about this.  If the ribbon makes the envelope too think or bumby they will charge you extra.  Apparently ours went through without the extra postage, but I had to pay an extra 6 stinking cents for a Christmas card this year because of a stupid ribbon!  As long as you got a guarantee from one of the workers, I wouldn’t worry about it too much.  You should be fine.

Post # 4
739 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009 - Red Fish Grill

I had a simple ribbon closure (one piece of ribbon with two interlocking loops, taped in the back) for my pocketfolds.  I got one weighed at our campus post office.  It fit through their thickness guage (a piece of cardboard with a slot in it).  Their only concern was the envelope’s flexibility, which might have posed a problem for their machines and would have bumped the postage up to 80-something cents.  Thankfully, I made the trip to the local main post office to have them reweighed and found that everything was fine:  59 cents per envelope.

I’ve never heard about the ribbon rule.  It probably relates to whether or not the envelopes will pass through the machines easily (and not so much their actual content).  Either way, you should be able to find guidelines on http://www.usps.gov.  From my experience, not every post office uses the same interpretation.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that your invites make it to their destinations!  :o)

Post # 5
163 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I have never heard of that before and think that is so ridiculous! I say I wouldn’t worry about it everyone will get their invites. I think that she was just being a b^[email protected]% and obviously had nothing better to do! I’m glad you said something instead of paying that!

Post # 6
113 posts
Blushing bee

That does sound pretty silly. I asked my mom about it (she is a Postmaster and agrees about the rediculous rules the Post Office has) and said that if they gave you the OK at your post office and sent the invites through then you will be fine. Apparently each post office interprets the rules a little differently but if the invites make it through the first Post Office where you mailed them, then they will go through no problems. I hope that makes sense.

Post # 8
75 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

We had that same issue. Our invitation by weight only needed a 42-cent stamp, but there were ribbons tied around the invite and we had both inner and outer envelopes. The post office employee told me that the invite MIGHT need an extra 20 cents, that it was borderline. She said if they were all tied exactly as the one I brought in to weigh, it’d be fine, but if some were tied such that they were a little thicker, the person would receive them with 20-cents postage due… so we just used a 62-cent stamp on all of them.

I’ve also found that with the post office, if you ask 5 different people the same question, you’ll get 5 different answers… at least with the ones around where I live. So if 2 out of 3 people said it’d be okay, it’ll probably be fine! =)

Post # 9
563 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

We got hit with the extra fee, since my ribbon was actually elastic gold cord, that made the invitation non-machine readable.

Post # 10
141 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I had to pay 20 cents extra too but that was because I ended up putting a wax seal on the outside of the envelope. You should only have to pay extra for "non-machinable" letters. If the envelope is less than 1/4 of an inch thick and the ribbon is inside, you should be fine.

Post # 11
232 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

now i’m worried.  we got our invite weighed at the post office (a complete set with a ribbon and little button) and the lady told us 59 cents.  we got to the post office too late to give them to a person (long story – usps website had incorrect hours) and just put them in the mail slot.  our envelope is totally stiff – with a ribbon…oh no.

FINGERS CROSSED! 

Post # 12
606 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

That is crazy, but true, they do that. I just don’t like that if you had listened to her, you woulda been out that much more in postage, when someone else said it was just fine. I would feel better if the postal workers were on the same page for something like that.

The topic ‘20 cent extra postage for ribbon? seriously??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors