(Closed) 20 months a long engagement?

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
14498 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

We were engaged for just over a year and a half because we wanted a summer wedding and I wanted my brother to be stateside for our wedding, since he didn’t get back from Iraq till fall, we waited a whole other year to get married.  So I don’t think that 20 months is too horribly long.

Post # 4
343 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

My friend studies statistics (he’s a sociologist) and told me recently that statistically speaking longer engagments build stronger marriages. I got engaged a few months ago and I’m not getting married until may 2013. 

And think of how less stressful the wedding planning will be if you have more time. 🙂 Congrats and enjoy!

Post # 5
13099 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

It seems pretty long to me but then again, mine was 10 months and all of my friends have had engagements of 13-14 months or less.

But you have to do what is right for you and your SO.  There is nothing “wrong” per say in a long engagement.

Post # 6
573 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I’m not getting married until April 2013, so just about the same. I think it’s fine – we’re moving cross country soon and I graduate college in May, so there was no way I could play an April wedding right now. I’m really set on the month, so the only way it would work is another year. No big deal! Do whatever is right for you

Post # 7
2496 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 1991

You need to do what’s right for you as a couple!

Post # 9
16216 posts
Honey Beekeeper

We were engaged for 28 months, and while it was long, I wouldn’t call it “really long.” It flew by! And it was perfect for us.

Post # 10
14 posts
  • Wedding: July 2012

We were engaged in February 2011 and aren’t getting married until July 7, 2012, which is now 7 months away! Woohoo!  It has been so nice being able to save money for us.  Also, we were able to get fall engagement pics, which we wouldn’t have been able to do with a shorter engagement.  I have also been able to really plan the way I want to and find the perfect dress, perfect bm dress, etc.  Your wedding day will be here before you know it.  Enjoy being engaged and enjoy planning!  Smile

Post # 11
1002 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Not too long at all! If that what you two are comfortable with, then do it! We are having a 22 month engagement, and it has gone by so much faster than I thought it would!

Post # 12
1723 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Its not long (: Itll fly by so quickly!

Post # 13
1488 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Fiance and I were engaged for 2 years. Many people criticized that, but I think we had the right idea. My cousin was only engaged for 5 months and she had to compromise a lot of what she wanted for her wedding because they didn’t have enough time to save up for it and many vendors were already booked.

Take the time to plan so you will have the wedding you want….Fiance and I definitely don’t regret our decision 🙂

Post # 14
573 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I like the idea of a long engagement personally. I think i like the thought of enjoying each stage of the relationship before worrying about the next. My cousin is in the middle of a 19 month long engagement and a cousin who just got married and he was also engaged for 20 months or so. I guess it just seems normal to me.

Post # 15
9483 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

Fiance and I have been engaged since last Christmas Eve and we’re not getting married until October.  =) We were planning a big wedding, but now we’re going somewhere and getting married by ourselves.  I would change the wedding date, but it’s grown on me.

Post # 16
127 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

We’ve been engaged since Feb. 19th 2010. I’m finishing up school and we both wanted to save up some money and not have to stress about wedding planning. Although it seemed like a really long time, time has flowwwwwwwn by! I’m glad we did it because it allowed us to plan at our own pace. Trust me, time is gonna fly by

The topic ‘20 months a long engagement?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors