20 something's how long did you wait to TTC after wedding?

posted 2 years ago in TTC
  • poll: How long did you wait to TTC?
    Straight away : (11 votes)
    13 %
    1-6 months : (11 votes)
    13 %
    6-12 months : (17 votes)
    19 %
    1-2 years : (19 votes)
    22 %
    2-3 years : (17 votes)
    19 %
    3+ years : (13 votes)
    15 %
  • Post # 2
    439 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

Good luck to you with everything, and your health especially! I am not married yet, but I am in my mid twenties and we plan to wait about 2 years to TTC. I am very career driven so I really want to wait. My FI could care less though… he would love being a dad now or at any time. It is worth noting that he is in his late twenties so maybe he is a little more ‘ready’ than I am. I just feel like we should take time to experience life together, even though we have been for the last 10 years lol.

Even if you don’t wait an extensive period of time, I think you should consider waiting a bit to enjoy each other as newlyweds. You are young and you have plenty of child bearing years ahead of you. You should have fun now! Maybe travel or do whatever you guys enjoy as a couple.

Post # 3
    8 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: April 2015

We are getting married this April but plan on TTC right away! Getting anxious!

Post # 4
    1829 posts
    Buzzing bee

My FI and I plan to start NTNP in November (4 months before the wedding) and actively TTC straight after the wedding. We would both be ready to try now but we are in the process of building a new home so want to wait until that’s all finished first.

Post # 5
    4893 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

Miss.E.91:  I personally groan when I hear people insist you need to “enjoy being married” – because that’s just not the case for everyone. I 100% agree that if you’re young, or didn’t live together beforehand, or have things you want to do in life, absolutely wait and enjoy some married time. I have friends who didn’t live together prior to marriage, and for them I definitely agree with waiting to adjust to married life and getting to know each other. However, with the vast majority of people living togther before marriage, it’s not much of a difference. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE being married, and it certainly feels different to be married – but when you get down to the nitty gritty of it there wasn’t some major change in how we lived or behaved. KWIM?

We have been together for 14 years, married 2, and lived together for basically 9 of those years (we’re 29 & 32). We haven’t started TTC yet, not because we were “enjoying married life” but because the timing with our jobs and schedules just didn’t mesh. I’ve been off BC for the past 7 months so we haven’t been preventing but not actively trying. I plan to kick it up and get serious about TTC in February.

Post # 6
    3625 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

Miss.E.91:  I got married in July of 2013 at 27 and we started NTNP last week! Our timing was based on wanting to buy a house first, then a really crazy travel schedule, then a marathon.

Post # 7
    646 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

I voted 6-12 months because we got married in June and will start trying in January. I am 22 (23 in Feb) and husband is 31.

Post # 8
    3280 posts
    Sugar bee

We were going to wait a year but ended up starting after 3 months. I’m 21, DH is 23.  I’m glad we did though because I’m currently going through some tests and it looks like it could take awhile. I think it totally depends on the couple. 

Post # 9
    4774 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

Not married yet, but we’re getting married a couple of months before were 24. At that point we will have been together 7 years. We plan on ttc around 27!

ETA: We’ve lived together for 3 years and still have over a year til we get married. We travel a lot now and things like that so its not like we have to enjoy married life first, we’re doing that now. We plan on moving around before settling and I told him I’m not hauling a 3 year old across the country. We want to be settled awhile before we have kids!

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  ksn1219.
    Post # 10
    721 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

We were 24 and 25 when we got married 13 months ago, now 26 and 27. We intend to TTC in January, when we will have been married 15 months. On a side note, we’ve been together almost 6 years.

Post # 11
    1458 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

I am 25 and DH is 29, we got married just over a year ago. We started NTNP about six months in and have been trying full blown since then, and still no baby! Just my two cents to say that just because you’re young doesn’t mean you will get pregnant instantly. 

Post # 12
    77 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

We got married when we were both 22, and started TTC 11 months later. Now I’m 12 weeks and we are both so excited! 🙂

Post # 13
    3360 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

I feel pretty strongly that you’re ready when you’re ready – what’s right for one couple isn’t right for another.  Don’t feel pressured to try before you’re ready, and also don’t listen to people’s opinions about being “too young” if you’re ready soon.

With that said, though, we waited about 2.5 years after our wedding to try (and luckily got pregnant straight away!  Our baby girl will be born in April, about 4 months after our 3rd anniversary).  We were 28 and had been together for 7 years.

Post # 14
    878 posts
    Busy bee

We got married in June and this is oour first month TTC

Post # 15
    3516 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

When we were married I was 28 and my husband was 32 (so he wasn’t a 20-something), we waited about a year & a half to start trying.. I will be 30 Saturday and he’ll be 34 in a month and we’re on our 3rd cycle trying. I wish we would of started earlier in life, we were together 6 years before we got married, but oh well.. can’t change that now.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors