(Closed) 20 ways to cut wedding budgets

posted 5 years ago in Money
  • poll: How did you (are you) cut your budget? (explain too!)
    flowers : (37 votes)
    41 %
    dress : (15 votes)
    16 %
    venue : (8 votes)
    9 %
    food : (8 votes)
    9 %
    time : (2 votes)
    2 %
    other (list with explanation por favor!) : (21 votes)
    23 %
  • Post # 3
    3340 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

We chose a date in an off-season month.  We also chose a date that falls on a Monday.  We negotiate with every single vendor; we never just pay the asking price.  This has saved us about $30K.

Post # 4
    2971 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

we cut costs all over the place, but i think the thing that saved us the most money, was having our reception at my parents’ house.

we also kept the flowers to a minimum. we used a local flower shop for the bouquets, and costco for the centerpieces and corsages/boutonnieres.

Post # 5
    1681 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

I cut costs with the flowers. My FMIL used to work in a floral shop, so we’re ordering in buik ad DIYing. She’s great 🙂

Post # 6
    4660 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

Not having flowers, save the dates, or hired music helps. 

Post # 7
    930 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

We are ordering wholesale flowers and a family member will be doing them.

We are also having the reception at a family owned park, but having to rent a tent is expensive and not saving that much money at all!

Post # 8
    4687 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY

• Getting married on a Friday
    • No assistant with photographer
    • simple flowers (in season garden roses), from a grocery store florist
    • dress was labeled “evening gown”, not wedding dress, so much cheaper
    • rentals, clean-up, coordination all included in the caterer (not like they were cheap though!!)
    • DIY STDs and invites through graphic design sister
    • DIYing all decorations (pomandersm signs, etc)

Post # 9
    509 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

I am planning of cutting cuts anywhere I can, I have a very small budget and were I live everything is expensive.

1. Looking for a venue(off the beaten path) that allows me to bring my own food/alcohol(trade joe wine). Also hosting reception and ceremony at same place.

2. Dress: China replica or ebay

3. Photography: Craigslist, friendor, also free flick account(people can downoad pics they took) only want photographer for a few hours and want a copy of cd.

4. Fake balsa wood flowers. or candle(cheap)

5. Transportation, funeral home car, zipcar(not 100% yet)

6. Rentals(chairs etc) church, funeral home…

7. I want to use thrift store plates, vases etc for decor

8. Invites: Vista print, walmart, aldi, or diy

9. Music- church singer(ceremony), reception dh knows alot of djs

10. Food(the most expensive part) cooking school, diy appetizers, food truck. Not looking for fancy food, most ethnic food are cheap. Pasta, Hispanic food, chinese food…

11. Officiant: Family friend (ordered online)

12. Beauty: Beauty school or family friend(step sister stylist)

Cutting of the to do list all the things that are not importat for me. My main priorities are food and photography.

Post # 10
    35 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: December 2013

I fell in love with a $99 hair pin for my dress-since I am a big DIY’er I will be making this-  The point to this is if you want something- look and see what you have as resources to help you-  I also love the name hangers for my girls’ dresses-  While those are only $11 on etsy- if you make them yourslef you can make 4 for $11.   I also love the gallery board here-  Thank you Bee’s for sharing!  I pinned my futire bouquet on my Pinterest board which is silk peonies and brooches.  The brooches will match my hair pin for my dress to pull my whole wedding together-  I am having a winter wonderland wedding with white, silver, and black as my colors.  Good luck planning everyone!   

Post # 11
    Hostess
    8580 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

We’re cutting costs in some areas, and splurging in others where I wanted extra.

– Artificial Flowers

– Ceremony, Tasting Hour & Dinner/Reception at the same venue

– Ebay, Ebay, Ebay! I’ve been bidding up a storm getting things for way cheaper than I would at bridal shops.

– Dress will be some a china store. While some wouldn’t agree with it, the $3000 dress I LOVED was not in my budget, however, the replica for $500 is! Thank goodness.

– Our venue includes tables/chairs, so no rental there.

– Many of the items we are purchasing for our wedding will be used in our future home. [High quality futons/end tables for the lounge area, bar & pub tables, ect].

Post # 12
    5007 posts
    Bee Keeper

I’m saving by getting married at the end of September (we negotiated this to be “off season”) and getting the cheapest food. I don’t care at all about food and the cheapest options are still really expensive! I bought my dress used, but again it was still expensive. We are skipping favors, but doing a candy bar ($300). It’s hard to cut costs!!

Post # 13
    97 posts
    Worker bee

Photographer is free (just paying for flights)

Making all my centerpieces and bouquets

Making invitations and STDs

Making headpiece

Buying tablecloths instead of renting them

Post # 14
    757 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

We are saving money all over the place, but are going crazy with the budget for food and venue. 

1. Dress-It was less than my fiance’s suit

2. Friendors! My friend from grad school is a professional florist and my FI’s sister is a photographer. They both offered to do the wedding and were offended when I tried to tell them we want them to enjoy the party, for them doing their jobs is enjoying the party.

3. Some DIY, but mostly just cutting things that we don’t think are necessary.

Post # 15
    331 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

My venue offers a package for $4300 and thats how we’re saving money. That package includes ceremony and reception site, food (staffing, utensils, linens, etc), cake, dance floor, flowers (my bouquet, bridesmaids, groomsmen, centerpieces). I’m having friends so photography and music. We pay the bartender w/the catering company $25 per hour and we can supply our own alcohol. 🙂 STDs and invitations are gonna be less then $100.

Post # 16
    3417 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Lodge

I’m very fortunate that my cousin owns his own photo company as well as a photojournalist for a University. My uncle takes pictures as a hobby and does a great job. So both will be our photographers that day. A good friend of mine also does videography so he will be doing our video. I have another friend who is ordained and will be marrying us. So our cut is in photo/video. We will also save money by holding our ceremony outside of our reception site. Its a flat fee no matter if we just rented the site out for the reception or had both there so might as well save money and use the site for both.

The topic ‘20 ways to cut wedding budgets’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors