(Closed) $200 for postage!

posted 5 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
1562 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

$200NZD is $166USD today.  I looked up on the USPS to ship a package to New Zealand.  The USPS has a global flat rate box.  The price to ship to New Zealand is $74.95, and that does not include insurance.  Hope this helps.

Post # 5
198 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

$200 is a total rip-off. I order from US websites and at the most, they charge $50 for postage via FedEx or DHL.

Does the ring have to be from this company? What about Blue Nile, James Allen, or White Flash? Their quality is excellent, and there’s no postage cost (though I suspect it’s because the fee is absorbed into the pricing of the items sold).

Post # 6
4049 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

My soon-to-be-FI bought my ring from a seller in the US. The postage and insurance wasn’t too much to send it to him in the UK. The big issue was customs fees and taxes. It was hundreds of dollars, and my ring was only $800, so it seemed like such a waste. So we shipped it to me here in the States, and I am carrying it over when I go to visit him in a few days.

So check that out too. You might have issues with declaring it, but I am not sure. Just something to look into!

Post # 8
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I would bet that the $50 fedex price quoted is from a company that subsidizes their shipping. Fedex-ig within the US is almost that expensive ($50 NZ is like $40 US)….so I can definitely understand it costing more than that. When I was in New Zealand last year, we shipped some stuff to the US – just a small box, and it was about $100. Add insurance and handling onto that and $200 doesn’t sound crazy.

Post # 9
198 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

@MissBettsy:  I don’t know much about ruby, but have you tried posting on Betterthandiamond http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

The posters there are veterans regarding coloured gems, both earth mined or lab created, so I am sure they can give you some suggestions.

Also the previous poster regarding the postage subsidy, yes I am sure the USA companies that offer cheaper o/s postage is subsidised, but think about it, almost all of them offer FREE SHIPPING within the USA. So they have to off-set the cost somewhere, and what’s a better captive consumer than those from overseas with limited shopping options? Heinous, I tell you. Besides, I am sure as company clients, these jewelery stores are able to strike a better postage deal than your average Jane Doe.

Ok, rant over, lets admire the pretty ruby heart ring and extoll its uniqueness….

The topic ‘$200 for postage!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors