(Closed) 2010 Budget

posted 8 years ago in Married Life
Post # 3
215 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Well, I think not talking about money is what leads to arguments in the long run. Better to figure out a plan (whether it involves combining finances or not), I think, and have a sense of direction.

Post # 4
10218 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2010

i definitely agree that you-all need to have a plan figured out as to how you’ll spend the money, split the bills, save, etc.

Post # 5
3344 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

We’ve always split things 50/50, and will probably continue to do so after we’re married.  We plan on contributing to a joint checking and savings account monthly for shared expenses, and keeping our personal accounts to do whatever we want.

Post # 6
2344 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I agree that the important thing is to talk about it. Even if you don’t make every decision right now, talk about your expectations and desires. Do you both want to have your own “play money” that the other can’t see? How important is it to be transparent with each other about your fiances? How financially independent do you each want to be, and how do you see yourselves achieving that? What are your biggest financial goals as a couple – saving for a house? Vacations? Paying off debt?

Like you, FI is the breadwinner right now because I will have just graduated college by the time the wedding rolls around. For that reason, it makes more sense for us to have a completely joint account that all of our money goes into. I told FI if he wanted to set some of his income aside for “play money” that would be fine as long as we have our needs and savings taken care of, but he doesn’t want to. Hopefully, one day we will both be making good money, and then we might keep our own checking accounts for some independence but the majority of our money will be shared. That’s just our attitude about finances and marriage.

Post # 7
2015 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

You guys definitely need to talk about this now. Money is the root of a lot of marital problems and the sooner you resolve the problems, the better.

Before we got married, we split everything 50-50, and we had our own accounts. When we got married, we opened one joint checking account for bills, and we kept our own checking/savings accounts. We both make about the same, but we’ve discussed what would happen if one of us made more than the other. We decided that we would both contribute to bills according to our salaries. For example, if he makes more than me, he would pick up a little extra with rent or something. Same goes for me if I made more. It just made sense for us.

But everything does things differently, so you guys need to open that line of communication!

The topic ‘2010 Budget’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors