(Closed) 2010 Great Gatsby-esque ideas?

posted 8 years ago in Themes
Post # 3
4382 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - Ceremony - First United Methodist Church; Reception - My parents' house!

Greek key! For some reason, whenever I think of Gatsby I think of greek key.

Post # 4
818 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

I think you can have fun with music from that time period as well as signature drinks and lavish decorations. There’s a fun Gatsby scene in Fever Pitch you might want to watch.

Good luck. I adore that book!

Post # 5
1074 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I always think of glamour when I think of Gatsby. Gold, silver, black, feathers, champagne, etc. long pearls, gloves. 

Any of this helping? 

Post # 7
815 posts
Busy bee

Maybe you can incorporate some of the colors of the original cover into your palette: midnight blue, golden yellow, black, emerald green, red.  Also, I like the idea of really old school cocktails, the kind that were created around the time of the book’s publication.  Like maybe a sidecar, or a even a Fitzgerald.  I think those things would be subtle, and really cool.  

Post # 8
1426 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I understand the appeal of the grandeur of the era, but it might be a good idea to think of another way of expressing that idea than “Great Gatsby” since that work is a pretty harsh critique of that style…

Post # 9
229 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I think of Art Deco styles – graphic designs and rich colors. I think it would be a beautiful party!

Post # 10
4765 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas

I think of, like everyone else has said, lots of glamour, rich colors, and fun music from that time period! 

Post # 12
4382 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - Ceremony - First United Methodist Church; Reception - My parents' house!

What is your venue like? That also might help to know! 🙂

Post # 13
705 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Okay, so I’m a huge literature nerd so my first thought was green candle votives or something to turn your light slightly green, since Gatsby spends so much time stairing at the green light on the dock, but you probably weren’t going for such specifics.  I agree with everyone else!  You could always do an outdoor reception, as a lot of his parties were garden parties.  If you’re doing a swing band you could have a dance instructor come to show guests some moves!

Post # 16
7771 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

We are having a brass band at our ceremony to go with our vintage theme. 

The topic ‘2010 Great Gatsby-esque ideas?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors