(Closed) *2010* K1 Visa Bees!! Are you with me??

posted 7 years ago in Long Distance Relationships
Post # 3
162 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Here!! We just started the process and got the NOA1 last week. In which part of the process are you?

Post # 5
162 posts
Blushing bee

Absolutely, that’s what I think! I’m not even engaged yet but we already went ring shopping and my BF wanted to start with the process asap since it takes forever!

Where are you from and where are you going to live? I’m from Mexico and living over here, met my BF while studying in the US, and have been apart for 1 year that has felt like 20. Still don’t know where we will live in the US since it depends on what happens with his job and where would I get a good job myself.

Post # 7
162 posts
Blushing bee

Congrats on your engagement! And good luck with the process, we’ll be in touch to try to figure it out!

Btw what are you guys planning on doing regarding the wedding? We tought since we can not control the time in which the visa will be ready, we will probably wait and get married legally and have a nice reception later when we know for sure that I’ll be in the country!

Post # 9
18 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2010

We just finished going through the K1 process. It wasn’t too difficult, but it took forever! After I came back to the US we went down to the courthouse and got married right away so I could start the change of status paperwork and could start looking for work. We’re having a bigger reception in a few months. Good luck those of you who are waiting on the paperwork to come through!

Post # 10
162 posts
Blushing bee

Look people seem to have a lot of opinions about the topic, but I guess for us it was clear since we have a bunch of friends that have made their marriage legal and looked at it like one more step of the “visa process”, actually some of them didn’t even share the news with most people, and went about it like they were not married yet until the day of the religious ceremony and the reception.

I feel very confortable doing that, and I think that in my mind I would be “just engaged” until the day of the proper wedding; but some friends and relatives have expressed their concerned that  “my wedding won’t be real” :S It doesn’t change anything for me except maybe that I might keep it as a secret to most people (except family) so they still feel like it’s a real wedding haha

Post # 12
18 posts
Newbee

My fiance sent out the I-129 in August 2009 and it was approved in late November. I received notification from the US embassy in India in December 2009. Unfortunately, it took me forever to get the police clearances etc. because I didn’t know the procedures and dealing with bureaucracy is a pain! I was working long hours and couldn’t take much time off to run around to various government offices. So I would suggest, depending on the bureaucracy in your country, that it is good to get started on collecting the documentation for your embassy interview. It took the embassy a month to give me an interview date, and then I flew back to the US a couple of weeks after that. The interview itself was really straightforward and short.

I really want to start working now that I am back, so it was an easy choice for us to get married right away and get the ball rolling on my permanent residency etc. We’re having a ceremony/reception here in August, and another one in India in December…so we’ll have three anniversary dates to choose from 🙂 But I think the courthouse date is the one we’ll celebrate since we wrote our vows for that ceremony!

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the K1 process!

Post # 14
18 posts
Newbee

MrsFernandez, I know what you mean about the fees! The AOS is another $1,000! Unless there is something unusual about your case or your English is not very good (obviously not the case with you), you don’t really need the added expense of a lawyer. Just read all the instructions slowly and carefully.

Here’s one tip I thought of: the medical exam that your embassy will have you take is not necessarily as extensive as the one you will have to submit when you adjust status. The difference lies in the vaccination requirements — you need to show proof of vaccination for permanent residency but not for the K1 (at least for India). It is generally much cheaper and easier to get the vaccinations in your home country, or get proof of vaccination if your family doctor is there, so I would suggest getting this done before you come to the US. Talk to the doctor the embassy sends you to, to find out which vaccinations you need (it varies by age group, and perhaps also by country, I’m not sure).

Good luck!

The topic ‘*2010* K1 Visa Bees!! Are you with me??’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors