2014 Academy Awards

posted 3 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: How important are the Oscars to you?
    We would also take a day off work and book a hotel just to watch! It's a MUST! : (1 votes)
    3 %
    We love to watch but wouldn't stay in a hotel just for that! : (4 votes)
    11 %
    We have an Oscar party every year! : (1 votes)
    3 %
    We will watch if we're home and it's on : (11 votes)
    31 %
    We used to watch it every year but don't any more : (2 votes)
    6 %
    Have only watched it once or twice : (1 votes)
    3 %
    Have never watched it and have no interest in it : (5 votes)
    14 %
    Have never watched it but check the results to see who won what : (6 votes)
    17 %
    Babaganoush : (2 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 3
    2070 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2012 - Oak Tree Manor

We have an Oscars party every year – love to watch it with otehr people!

Post # 4
    616 posts
    Busy bee

@MissBettsy:  I love them. I watch them every year. My dad also works in the film industry so he’s let me vote on his oscar ballot ever since he realized I see all the movies and he sees…..well, every Pixar movie. 

Post # 5
    9859 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2014

@MissBettsy:  I love it – I watch every year.  I don’t know if I’d rent a hotel room just to see it though 🙂

That’s dedication!!

Post # 6
    900 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: February 2014

My husband is in the film industry.  We used to watch them but we can’t get through them anymore.  So many times you get such eyeroll inducing speeches.  All the self-congratulating…..how many award shows are there for this crap?  It starts to come off as just gross and weird.

I literally work with people that are finding the cure for cancer.  So when I see someone up there almost crying over their award – I can’t take them seriously.

Hollywood is built on egomaniacs though.  That’s showbiz!

Post # 7
    185 posts
    Blushing bee

@MissBettsy:  I watch them pretty much every year, but I’ll channel surf while it’s on.  I’m more interested in knowing who won than the actual award show itself.

My best friend and I go every year to an event at a local movie theater where they show all of the best picture nominees in marathon format over two Saturdays.  Last Saturday was the first day, and this Saturday will be the second. 

So far I’ve seen Philomena, Dallas Buyers Club, The Wolf of Wall Street and 12 Years a Slave.  Without having seen them all yet, my pick for best actor so far is Matthew McConoghey (sp?), I just thought he was so fabulous.  I thought Judi Dench was amazing in Philomena as well.  Wasn’t too impressed with Wolf of Wall Street, although Leo’s performance was very very good and the nomination is deserved.  I just don’t think the rest of the movie was all that good.  If I had to pick a best picture winner our of the four I’ve seen so far, I’d go for 12 Years a Slave.

Post # 8
    2675 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014 - Madison, WI

I would love to watch them but it’s the kind of thing that bores FI to leave the room. So I tend to watch less of awards shows now than I used to…even if I watch them alone he will criticize the whole thing and make fun of people caring about such things.

However, I was supposed to be attending an “Oscar Party” this year but the hostess was called away on business out of the country and won’t be back in time to have her party! Sad. So, maybe next year!

Post # 10
    6171 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2013

i record it and fast foward.  i like to watch the opening.

Post # 11
    4072 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

I watch if I’m home and channel surfing and see it. Otherwise I don’t bother much. I like to know the winners, and I watch the films I haven’t yet seen, but I don’t fuss much over the awards show.

Post # 12
    2571 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

We still have to watch 12 Years A Slave, but out of all the Best Picture nominees we’ve seen so far, we really liked Her and Nebraska the best.

If Jennifer Lawrence wins the Supporting Oscar award I am going to scream bloody murder.  I can’t even with her, especially not in that movie…

Post # 13
    382 posts
    Helper bee

I think its soooo sweet that you and FI are going to have a special date for this! I love watching the Oscars but FI isn’t into it so I voted other. I also love that you went all out and got the special occasion package! It makes me want to do something sweet with my FI.

As for my picks- I am ready for Leo to finally get an Oscar although I also thought the Chiwetel Ejiofor from 12 Years a Slave was amazing. I also love Meryl Streep and think she’s amazing in everything. And Her was so innovative. I liked that a lot too.

Post # 14
    885 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

That sounds awesome!  We are going on a ski-holiday with friends starting Sunday, so we’ll probably watch it at our condo.  I’m so excited because we don’t have cable so I usually don’t get to watch awards shows.  I really want Amy Adams to win for American Hustle.

Post # 15
    1666 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2015

@MissBettsy:  We don’t watch them, but I do check the results out of curiousity.

P.S. I think its adorable you guys are having a special date night and that you both enjoy watching this together.

Post # 16
    3195 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

While I don’t think the Oscars would be worth a hotel room for my husband and I, I think it is very sweet that you are having a little getaway. It is important to keep doing romantic things when you’re married. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors