2014 Brides…what are you doing about Christmas this year?

posted 3 years ago in Holidays
Post # 3
502 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

We talked about setting a pretty low spending limit for Christmas presents for each other with the wedding and honeymoon coming up in February money is going to be pretty tight.

Post # 4
1498 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@AndysCraftsNmore:  We’re cutting down.  We decided we’d limit ourselves to $60 for gifts for the other.  We’re going to do something fun like “something you wear, something you can play… etc” and spend $20 on each one.

Of course, last year we had a $100 limit because we were taking a trip to Jamaica right after xmas, and FI bought me a kitchenaid mixer anyway…  His excuse was it benefits him too.  Of course I didn’t complain 🙂

Post # 5
402 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@AndysCraftsNmore:  We’ve already discussed setting a spending limit.  Last year was our first Christmas together and we both went CRAZY.  This year that really is not an option. 

As far as family, I’ll be cutting back there too and just getting them less expensive gifts.  I think they all will understand considering our situation.

Post # 6
2562 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

We’re getting smaller gifts for family only and baking for everyone else.

We’re also going to ask our family and friends to go easy on the gifts this year… we really aren’t wanting for much (unless someone wanted to give us the gift of taking over wedding planning hahaha)
Oh! Our birthdays are right before Xmas, that’s why we have to mention gifts… people get all crazy about giving us things (especially me, I’m Dec 24th!) so we have to empathize that this year, it’s OK to skip it. Mostly to our moms. Sigh.
I mean… our wedding will be about two months later!

FI & I do a different thing in our house for xmas anyway (we made this advent calendar to correspond with our birthdays and xmas) so we don’t spend too much money.

Post # 7
1157 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Definitely not spending much.  I’m hoping to convince FI to not get me anything at all and we can buy a couple small things for our dog together instead 🙂 and do small things for family only.  We’re going to tell family that cash for the wedding is fine, or they can get us things off the registry if they’re really wanting to get us something!

Post # 8
839 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

We are spending the same amount on gifts for family members, but we are cutting down on gifts between us. We don’t normally spend a whole lot on Christmas gifts for each other, but this year I already told FI I want to skip gifts. I think we are just going to do stockings for each other and call it a day. 

Post # 9
1951 posts
Buzzing bee

@AndysCraftsNmore:  Since our wedding is in February, we’re basically skipping gifts for each other. We agreed that we’re going to splurge a little and get a room at a swanky hotel when we go visit my grandparents on Boxing Day. Gifts for my parents and granparents will be typical, though. My parents are paying for the wedding, but we’re paying for the honeymoon and a few extras at the wedding, like a photo booth. So it’s save, save, save!

Post # 10
647 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I want to set a limit, FI doesn’t. I could force the issue but we set one last year and he went way over and then I felt like an a**hole. He makes much more than me so it won’t be hard for him but it will be for me even though he says he doesn’t expect me to spend the same I’ll feel bad if I don’t.

As for everyone else I’ll probably keep it the same our parents are helping a lot with the wedding so I feel like they deserve good gifts from us lol 

Edit: OOPS! I just realized this says 2014 I’m 2015 but I can’t figure out how to delete my post lol

Post # 11
3265 posts
Sugar bee

We’re cutting down but not too much. I asked if he wanted to skip gifts for each other this year and he was really against it. His reasoning was too logical to argue. We have two separate “fun money” accounts for each of us where splurges/luxuries or gifts for each other come from and how much goes in every month hasn’t changed.

Post # 12
671 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

We are cutting down, spending less on everyone and eachother. Everyone understands.

Post # 13
155 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I’ve already gotten FI a GoPro 3 that I told him would double as his Christmas and birthday present (since it’s in December).  I am hoping he doesn’t get me anything for Christmas, but if he does, it will likely be something inexpensive which I am totally ok with it!

As far as family goes, we are still debating on whether or not to get everyone really small presents, or just get the kiddos something.  I am leaning towards the latter only because I feel like the small present will go unappreciated.  LOL

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors