2014 Subaru Forester OR Honda CR-V?

posted 2 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 2
876 posts
Busy bee

Don’t ever purchase a brand new vehicle. It depreciates 20- 25% the second you drive it off the lot. Buy one year old and let someone else eat that initial depreciation.

Post # 3
2052 posts
Buzzing bee

I second interchangeable new vehicles just arent worth it. 

If you really want the newest model, would it be possible to wait a year until its old news? Come this time next year when the 2016 models are out, the 2015 models will probably have a significant price drop just because they want the lot space. 

Just as some anecdata, my mom really wanted a Toyota Highlander. Was considering a new one at almost $35k and ended up getting a 2010 model for $20k. 3 year difference made a $15k difference! Outrageous

Post # 4
539 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I just bought a 2014 mazda CX5 grand touring AWD!  I’m not sure if you have looked at them but they have pretty great gas mileage too! Sporty and cute. 

Post # 9
760 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014 - Gold Hill Gardens

FutureMrsB123:  I looked at those two, as well as the CX-5 a couple of years ago. I was going to suggest that you consider it, but a PP already has! So, if you’re not interested in the Mazda (seriously, LOVE mine – I get 32+ mpg combined now! unless I use a whole tank going into the mountains or I spend a huge amount of time in traffic), I vote for the Forrester. Have you test driven either the Subie or the CRV? I found there was nothing I liked in the CRV, when I was looking. It was a very “meh” vehicle to me. I loved how much I could see in the Subie, but I loved so much else about the CX-5.

Post # 10
137 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I debated the same thing, but ended up with the Subaru Forester and I LOVE it!! It’s seriously so great to drive and it’ll be my soccer mom car in the future! The huge windows help you see everything. 

But then again my future in laws got a brand new CRV a few weeks ago and love it too. I just preferred the look of the Forester and the extra legroom in the back seat 

Post # 12
137 posts
Blushing bee

I’ve also test drove the Rogue and the CX5, and the Forester just seemed to feel more solid to me. I was sold on the CX5 until I tried the Subaru

Post # 15
137 posts
Blushing bee

FutureMrsB123:  what’s the difference in price? Gas mileage is important to me, especially since I’m currently in a LDR with my fiancé and will presumably want to drive home occasionally after the wedding when I’ll move into our new house permanently in the city where he currently lives (7 hours away)

It sounds like your heart’s set on the new Forester. If you can afford it and you love it, get the one you really want, and keep it for a long time. If you settle, there’s a chance you’ll replace the car sooner. Sorry for being an enabler! I should really be a spokesperson for them…. I am constantly raving about the car! 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors