2015 brides?

posted 3 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
37 posts
Newbee

I am June 2015, and lots of people told me we were doing everything “too early”, but guess what…we booked our venue this week and our date was taken! We had to bump it up two weeks earlier.

I’d rather get it out of the way now anyways and have less to deal with or scrounge up money for final payments later on.

Post # 4
1840 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

I’m getting married in April 2015 and have been engaged since December 2012.

LOL, bump them if they think it’s too early! Places here book a year or two in advance.

Post # 5
720 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@Angel123000:  

You can never start planning too early. I’m getting married in September 2014 but I’ve been engaged since December 2011 (I was also in school or we probably would have been married sooner). I found it much more relaxing to take my time and pick out what I want and keep pictures in folders on my computer or on pinterest of the things I like so when the time came to start actually planning it was a smooth transition and me not saying “I don’t know what I want”. I’m personally not a trends follower so I just picked things I liked and so far haven’t been told “thats not in style anymore”. I waited to pick my dress closer to time though as I know the trends/styles change and I didn’t want to pick a dress I might not be able to get. In fact I’ve picked my dress but they won’t order it for me til next year because they say its too early for my fittings. I picked out inspirations of colours, cakes, flowers decor etc starting from when we got engaged til now. I was lucky we booked our venue this year and the date was still available after switching venues but some venues do book up extremely fast so if you want somewhere that is known to be popular, you might wanna call and find out availability so you aren’t disappointed in not getting your date. Good Luck with the rest of your planning, you may come across vendors who wont book you just yet but atleast you will have them in mind when it comes time! Good Luck with all your planning!

Post # 6
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

I think it’s REALLY smart to start now!

I’d find all the big stuff (except the dress) in the next 6 months, deal with the house for the next 6 months to a year, and then hop back into wedding stuff, by which time your wedding will be SUPER close!

Post # 7
2878 posts
Sugar bee

I’m January 2015 if all goes well. But it’s only 14 months down the road now ! We’ve been engaged for a year already and it went SO FAST.

It is very disheartening as I feel a lack of support or excitment for our wedding.  I’m feeling like sharing the details with my friends and family is more an annoyance that joyous.

I can totally relate. 🙁 Sometimes I regret having told our parents, but we were so excited we wanted to tell them when we got ”officially” engaged (with rings). But they never ask about our planning. My friends don’t either. It doesn’t feel we’re taken seriously and it annoys me too. I mean, I’m this quiet girl who’s been in school forever, not a huge social life, nothing really interesting in her life beside studying. I won’t have kids either. For once, I’m living a very special event, and nobody seems to care. I do not marry my SO for the attention (we both hate being the center of attention), but we wouldn’t mind at least a little casual curiosity, you know ? Or being asked if we need any help, which didn’t happen either !

We’re already paying all by ourself. I would have liked someone to at least offer to help me craft centerpieces, or come shopping with me (girl time, yay !). It just convinces me of one thing : that even though I love my family and friends dearly, I really have to think of me and FI first, because we’re alone in this process. People are happy for us, but they do not show support (or interest) in the planning whatsoever. So, when I read about the reception being all about the guests – I might get flamed for this but – no, I don’t see it that way : we’re paying, we’re happy to have you around and it’s important to us, but since we’re doing litterally EVERYTHING, all we’re asking for is for guests to at least try to enjoy what we chose to do. I really think they are not allowed to complain about it; they weren’t there to help, so be there and enjoy, or stay silent. 😉

Post # 8
2125 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

June 2015 here. It’s hardly too early! About 1.5 years out is totally fine to start. SO and I are both students and will be for a while longer, PhD for him and Masters for me. That being said, we could totally use the extra time. I also wanted to start early so I’m not rushed or pressured to buy stuff. This way, if I see a great deal, I can leisurely buy it or I can wait. 

Post # 9
37 posts
Newbee

@lovelee1:  I agree in terms of the leisurely purchases. Because we have a couple of seasons from here to the wedding, we plan to but a lot of things off-season when they’re on sale, i.e. we bought some large drink dispensers for like 80% off because summer is ending and they were being cleared out, and we plan to buy twinkle lights after Christmas is over. It’s much better than having to buy them in their peak season when prices are at their highest.

Post # 11
1241 posts
Bumble bee

@Angel123000:  april 2015 here, and I’ve got my venue picked (can’t book yet due to the fact that they won’t let me yet), colors are picked, bridesmaids dresses are in the process of being picked. Wedding dress shopping is starting in March, And we are making a ton of little decisions now. 

There are so many things that have to be decided, and if you have other major things going on, it only makes sense to do stuff now. If I’m lucky, I’ll have everything set and done by June 2014, and just have to wait it out until the wedding day. that’s my plan.

Post # 13
2878 posts
Sugar bee

@Angel123000:  I am sorry you got little from no reactions whatsoever to your engagement ! *hugs* I love stories like yours, because love is not a matter of age and after 14 years, it’s such a beautiful and romantic gesture to get married having gone through many challenges together (while for many couples, we’re just getting started in our life together, and it’s not garanteed that we’ll last 14 years !) 

We’re having a small wedding too. Less than 60 guests, and unfortunately I don’t expect my grandparents to make it to 2015, so that will bring down the list a little. FI lost his last grandmother and one of his uncle last winter too, so it is not easy. But we chose to only invite our parent’s siblings (no cousins) and our own siblings. The only exception about friends is my BFF, I grew up with her, she’s more than a friend she’s a sister to me and when I’m asked how many sisters I have I always answer 2, but only 1 of blood. For the same reason, her mother being like a 2nd mother to me, I’m inviting her too. 

Post # 14
825 posts
Busy bee

@Angel123000:  I’ve only been told by famliy members that I was doing things too fast. It was really tough having no one be excited in the beginning because it was “so far away.” We still have 17 months (and a week) to go, but all my vendors have already received deposits for 2015 before I contacted them.

My family shut up a little bit when we went to go look at our venue at the end of September and they only had one weekend left in either May or June 2015. But they (his and my families) still don’t ask me how planning is going, and I want to tell them it’s going to be here SO FAST because the past four months have already flown by.

For a May 2015 wedding we have a date, a photographer, a videographer, a DJ, a reception venue, and colors. We’ve decided on a florist, a caterer, and makeup artist but haven’t booked those yet. We’ll tell the bridal party (we already know who they are) and start dress shopping in April/May of 2014.

Just keep in mind that you’re being told this by a generation who had very short courtships and engagements (on average). My Mom went from ‘how do you do’ to married in 9 months. Relationships and the wedding industry have changed a lot since then.

Post # 16
251 posts
Helper bee

@Angel123000:  too early? haha I have vendors chastising me for being too late and my wedding is in 2015

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors