2015/2016 destination wedding brides!

posted 2 years ago in Destination Weddings
  • poll:
  • Post # 2
    249 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

Teatime:   I’m getting married next June in Cabo.  In the beginning I was totally adamant about not having a wedding planner because I didn’t want to spend money on one, but after several emails to various vendors  and getting no response, I had to get one.  I got quick responses from my wedding planner in the beginning,  but after that I never heard anything from her.  I messaged another bride on another forum who had the same  wedding planner and she said that’s how it was with her. She was a little unresponsive in the beginning, but as it got closer to the wedding, correspondance was better. She said she really like the wedding planner, so I felt better.

As far as booking vendors, I made sure to book the most important ones right away.  The important ones to me were the officiant, photographer, and venue.  I booked those about 6 months ago.  Last month I booked my hair and makeup and I have yet to book the DJ, and I’m still deciding whether or not to get a videographer.  I was on the fence about a florist that the wedding planner recommended, because they weren’t responding to my emails, but she told me to trust her and go with them.   People keep asking how the wedding planning is going, but there isn’t much I can do since its a destination wedding and I know the vendors can’t really do anything until its closer to the wedding, so I haven’t been really emailing them.  I’m trying not to be an annoying bridezilla lol.  I hope I’m not being too relaxed about the whole wedding planning process and it ends up being a disaster. 

My sister got married in Maui a few years ago. She said planning her wedding there was pretty easy.  We considered Hawaii, but flight and hotels were more expensive in June, so we went with Cabo.  The only thing I’m bummed about with a destination wedding is that I can’t really customize it to what I like. I can’t really diy anything or buy a bunch of things for the wedding  because it will be hard for me to ship there. 

Post # 3
    673 posts
    Busy bee

I started off wanting to do a far away destination wedding, but my family made it difficult, so my choices were to a) not have them there or b) change the location. Obviously, I chose b, so we changed it from Bermuda to Hawaii to Florida. I was not budging on the small, beach wedding. We started in Ft. Lauderdale, but the planner and the lack of a reception venue inspired me to look again. We’ve now decided on Sunny Isles Beach. We’ve sent the STDs, took pictures, ordered the cake, blocked hotel and venue, ordered favor bags, booked the officiant and photographer and are starting to design the invites. 🙂 

Post # 4
    3 posts
    Wannabee

im getting married in june 2015 on the beach. were kind of eloping. Do i need to reserve part of the beach? I have no idea what im doing

Post # 5
    249 posts
    Helper bee

katynicole23:  I think you may need to get a permit. 

Post # 6
    4774 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

Maui looks beautiful! I got enaged in Oahu! Next time we plan on going to Maui an the big island. Good luck!! 

We are eloping to Bora Bora in Feb 2016!!

Post # 7
    1247 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2015

Ohhhh this is me!!! Getting married April 9, 2015 in Jamaica! We are doing everything through the resort so not too muh to plan. Just got my dress, and starting to look at accessories. First call with our coordinator day before thanksgiving to discuss ceremony, reception and everything else. that’s about the extent of the planning! once it’s confirmed out parents are coming (that’s all we are inviting) I’m going to start oot bags. Not sure there is that much else to do!

Post # 8
    316 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

Getting married Sept 2015 in Italy 😀 We’ve got a wedding planner over there so she’s pretty much taking care of everything. We’re having a reception when we get back and the venue is already booked and is all inclusive (food,  drinks,  decorations, center pieces,  dj,   etc).  All I need to take care of are the invitations and favours. 

Post # 9
    1 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: January 2016

We are getting married Jan 2016 in the Dominican Republic, and super excited!  We are now trying to figure out ideas for what to do when we come back home (summer of 2016) for 150-200ppl.  I have been looking all over for back home receptions and I can not find anything that tells you what should take place at the back home reception.  Does anyone have any suggestions, idea???

Post # 11
    50 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

I’m getting married May 18, 2015 in Malta (island south of Italy)! We have been working with a planner over there which has made planning a breeze! Destination weddings are definitely a whole other ball game. You don’t have the traditional meetings and cake tastings and things like that. You really just put your trust into other people to meet your vision. Unless of course you fly to Maui to prepare everything. I definitely can not swing a trip to Malta to taste food =P. A lot of vendors will skype as well. Good luck and I can’t wait to hear more about it!

@DMP2016 We are planning an at home celebration as well for family and friends not attending our wedding. I’ve decided to word it as celebration instead of reception as people don’t have the expectation of fully seated dinner or what not. We also are putting all our funds into the actual wedding and reception in Malta so it is way too expensive to host two. We are having a DJ and a caterer to have apps and such, but we limit it there.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Jessica4365.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Jessica4365.
    Post # 12
    4 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: December 2015

December 2015 in Runaway Bay Jamaica!   I’m so excited.

Our at home celebration is in July 2016 in our back yard.   So far we have 50 confirmed for Jamaica, 145 were invited.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  erinbecks.
    Post # 13
    4774 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

Since I’ve last commented, FI changed his mind! We are getting married May 19, 2016! We are now having a very small ceremony on Makapu’u Beach on Oahu with 12 of our closest. We plan on renting a large house for all of us to stay in and having a nice dinner in the back yard and possibly fire/hula dancers for our “reception”. We are still having a reception for about 60 people when we get back home. I’ve also bought a completely different dress since I last commented lol. 

Post # 14
    34 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: April 2015

yogahhh:  Yay for April weddings in Jamaica!!  We are getting married the day after you in Ocho Rios!!  The resort does everything for you it’s so easy and stress free I’m so glad we went this route!  

Post # 15
    43 posts
    Newbee

hp520:  im getting married in cabo too!  may i ask who is your planner and what vendors have you picked?? how exciting!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Syr87.
    Post # 16
    249 posts
    Helper bee

Syr87:  My wedding planner is Illeana Reyes.  I chose the most  affordable route with the vendors.  I would have chosen a couple of other vendors if I wasn’t on a budget. Below are the vendors I chose:

Wedding venue: Casa Dorada

Officiant: Marco Arichega

Photographer: Gilda BADILLO

Florist: Sergio Farias with Flowers and Events

Videographer: still on the fence about hiring one, but if I do I love the work of Jorge I are a

DJ: DJ Alex (not booked yet)

Rehearsal/welcome dinner: Baja brewing company atop Cabo villas resort.

I think that’s it.  Where are you having your ceremony and who are your vendors?  They’re really slow to respond there. I know there’s not much they can really do til it gets closer to the wedding, so I won’t get worried until it gets closer to the wedding.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors