(Closed) 21-25 year old brides, annoyed with the your so young line yet??????

posted 8 years ago in 20 Something
Post # 3
4150 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I just turned 23 when we got engaged, and will be 25 when we get married, and have never been asked this question.

I’m amazed at all these people who get asked this.  To me young is like 20 and under, but I think 21 and over is around the time that a lot of couple start thinking about marriage.  Maybe it’s regional though?

Post # 4
2781 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Yep. It’s very frustrating. Although I don’t mind hearing “wow, so young!” as opposed to “wow, you must be really sure!” Um, yes! I am really sure. Thanks for asking. 

Oh well. Comes with the territory I guess. It’s kinda funny as lots of my friends were asking me where the ring was when FH and I started dating and I was 19 then! For some reason it didn’t matter then! 😛

Post # 6
988 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Yup I am 23 and I get it all the time! I really don’t think 23 is young lol I mean its younger but I am not 16! What annoys me the most are the women who like to tell me how they will never let their daughters get married untill they are “accomplished” and “have seen the world”. Uh WTF I did graduate college, I did graduate my cosmetology course and yes I am accomplished. Does getting married stop you from seeing the world or being a better person? I don’t think so! LOL sorry this turned into a major rant!

Post # 7
2781 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

@JennyChicago Definitely hate that! So I’m 24 (23 at time of engagement) that doesn’t mean I’m not going to pursue my dreams for my future just because I’m getting married! Urgh. Besides, isn’t being a good wife and a good homekeeper just as important to some girls who want to do that? People sometimes have very narrow perceptions of the world.

Post # 8
Bee
2362 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - New York Botanical Garden

I turned 25 a week after our wedding, and I’m still getting it!  In the last people, I’ve gotten several comments.  It is so weird!

Post # 9
Hostess
18646 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I was 21 when I got married.  I got the ‘so young’ comments from some people but I just ignored it.  We waited until after we graduated college and were responsible enough to purchase our own home while we were engaged.

Post # 10
4150 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@jedcaj – I know that from living in two major cities in Canada, my friends from out west are way more focused on finishing school, establishing their careers etc before they are even thinking about marriage.  Now that I live in the “praries” it seems like people here get married a lot younger 🙂 whether they’ve finished school and got their careers going or not. 

Post # 12
2532 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I will be 1 month shy of 24 when we get married but the only time I ever got this comment was from creepy men at my bachelorette party!!

Post # 13
762 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I was 18 when we got engaged and eventhough I haven’t heard anything but “about time!” from my family and his, I’ve heard A LOT from people who have never met me before…it like yes I’m obviously young and yes I’m engaged, get over it!

Post # 14
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I got married at 23 but hardly got it. Maybe cuz i’m tall and scary and wear sunglasses all the time. Laughing

Post # 15
5389 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

I haven’t heard that. It may be because FH and I have dated since we were 17. Alot of people have said “It’s about time” and I was like “We are only 23!” . lol

Post # 16
181 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I’m 21 and will be 22 when we get married and mostly what I hear is from people my own age (not friends-just people I meet) going on and on about how they would never get married this young and they want to have a life and not be tied down. It’s frustrating because without fail they try to tack on a super insincere “but I’m sure it’s fine for you” line at the end. Seriously? 

The topic ‘21-25 year old brides, annoyed with the your so young line yet??????’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors