21 month old ring bearer

posted 3 years ago in Grooms/men
Post # 3
1112 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

At taht age, there is NO WAY I would give him your rings. The chances of him losing them are ridiculously high. If you think you can get him to walk down the aisle without too much fuss, I think it would be great to include him in the ceremony, but have the best man keep the rings safe.

Post # 4
42453 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@ForeverAndEverAfter:  Most ring bearers don’t really carry the rings. You can get fake rings to sew on the pillow, whilst the best man and MOH have the real rings.

I would say it’s 50/50 whether he will walk down the aisle an any given day, even less if he is by himself.

Post # 5
663 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

To be in charge of the rings? Yes far to young, but can just carry it down the aisle. Our boys will be 2 1/2 & 15 months an our toddler will pull our 15 month old down the aisle in a wagon with the rings

Post # 7
526 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

Fake rings for sure! Maybe you could have his mom or dad walk him down the aisle and/or be in the wedding party. Ring bearers that young can be adorable if they’re feeling it. If they’re not feeling it… look out. Is your wedding after naptime?

Post # 8
8701 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

If you want him to do this, don’t give him the actual rings. My MOH had mine, his best man had his.

You’ll be lucky if you can get him to go anywhere on his own. 

Post # 9
42453 posts
Honey Beekeeper

@ForeverAndEverAfter:  Sometimes it helps to have one parent at the back of the church helping him with his entrance and the other parent seated near the front of the aisle to call him down.

After he walks down the aisle he can sit with his parent. He would never stand at the front with the rest of the wedding party.

Just be flexible. If he feels like doing it great, If he doesn’t no harm, no foul.

Post # 10
1040 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Given most kids propensity to stick small objects up their nose, I wouldn’t trust him with the real rings. As for the other aspects of the job, I always feel a bit odd when really young kids are used as ring bearers/flower girls. It depends on the child but it can be a lot of pressure to put them under and it feels a bit like they are being used for their cuteness value. But that might just be me. 

Post # 11
3249 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@ForeverAndEverAfter:  We gave him fake rings.  He didn’t want to carry the pillow in the end, just walked with the flowe girl.

Post # 12
7193 posts
Busy Beekeeper

@ForeverAndEverAfter:  If you want him to what he’s told (even with fake rings) – no way, way too young. I’d say 3 is the mimimum, and preferably 4. (Perhaps I’m biased because my 3 year old didn’t “perform” when she was a flower girl for a friend).

Of course if you want him just for the cute factor, regardless of what he does, then that age is fine.

Post # 13
11668 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@ForeverAndEverAfter:  could go eithe way so be prepared. My nephew was 26 months and he cried all the way down the aisle. It was so funny and cute though because he held on to the darn here comes the bride sign perfectly as he did it. He’s a bit of a mommas boy and started when my sis walked down the aisle. Didn’t ruin anything for Us. His babysitter was at the wedding so when he got to the front she was off to the side to take him out of the room. 

He also didnt have rings and I don’t suggest giving rings to any child/

Post # 14
Hostess
7630 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2013

I don’t think a 21 month old can understand what you’re asking from him so I probably wouldn’t. You could ask his parents to carry him down while he’s holding a little pillow so he’s the “honorary ring bearer.”

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors