Condo : (23 votes)
    4 %
    House : (164 votes)
    32 %
  • Post # 3
    3777 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

When I met DH he already had a home. I’m 26, he’s 31, and we live in a nice gated commnunity. The house is 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, and just over 1700 sq. ft. We have a huge backyard, too, which is great!

If I had been a part of the house shopping process I would have looked for a better kitchen. It was obviously chosen by a male, haha. There is very little counter/cabinet space. It’s a huge space, but for some reason there’s just not many counters. We are talking remodel after the wedding is paid off.

Post # 4
    457 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

We bought our house two years ago, it’s 2,700 square feet, has 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms.  The main level is completely open concept with a seperate home office.  We live about 45 minutes outside of Toronto, Ontario and it’s a detached home on a big lot.  It needed some work which was fine but my only advice is if the home you buy needs work make sure you have the money put aside for the work because if not it can take awhile to get the upgrades done.  We needed a fence when we moved in since we were a corner lot and that cost quite a bit.

Post # 5
    8390 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2013

Aw poop, I voted wrong (story of my life lol), we live in a 1900 sq ft, single family home (3 bd/2.5 ba) on the ourskirts of Charlotte, NC.  I LOVE our community because it has so many ammenities (4 pools, tennis courts, bacci ball courts, gym, golf, parks, walking trails, etc) and our neighbors are awesome.  I don’t think I would change anything about our home purchase, although we spent almost a year looking before we bought.  We never plan on having children though, but if I was going to start a family, I probably would’ve purchased a 4 or 5 bedroom house with way more bathrooms.

@littlemisst08: Our kitchen was the same way!  About 200 sq ft for the kitchen and no storage or counter space lol.  We are currently remodeling our kitchen (wedding was almost 2 months ago).

Post # 6
    1678 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

We bought when I was 24 and Dh was 27. Our house is about 1600 sq ft, 3 bed, 2 bath split level in a suburb of Chicago. What sold us on the house was the yard (about .33 acres) and the double closets in the master. We bought it as a foreclosure, so it’s definitely a bit of a fixer, but I love getting my hands dirty and actually excel at the repair stuff. We plan to redo the kitchen and lower bath in the next few years. Still up in the air about whether or not this is our forever house. 

Post # 7
    362 posts
    Helper bee

Just under 25 but SO is 27 and we live together renting a 500 square foot 1 bedroom apartment.  We could get more for our money if we moved further into the suburbs but we love our location!  We have striking mountain views from our window, live right on a lake with georgious views and pretty much have parks and open space trails boardering us on all sides, plus it’s a five minute bike ride to get to both our banks, grocery store, coffee shops, SOs job, a major bus station, thrift store, liberary and post office.  Were pretty lucky!  Yeah we pay more for less room but that’s fine with me, so my take away is go with location first!

Post # 8
    8850 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

Yeah I can’t vote… our house is 850 sq feet.  It’s perfect for us!  Cozy ranch-style starter home for two on a big lot.  2 bed, 1 bath with lofted ceilings and lots of windows, so it feel roomy and open and big.  Quite large front and back yards.  It’s in the most desirable neighborhood in our ~25,000 person town (beautiful old houses, lots of trees, etc).  

I’m 30 and this is the first house we’ve bought.  We’ll rent or sell and upgrade in a couple years when we’re tentatively planning on starting a family.

Post # 9
    1690 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

My FI and I bought this home last year. I was 28 and he was 32 at the time. 

Our home is 2500sf, 3+1 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. It’s a two story house, and we live here with our 7 year old son. Our house has a fairly large property (for living in a city). It’s within walking distance to our sons school (one of the best in the area) and high school. Our house has a detached garage that we use as a games room (pool table, dart board, etc). We have an I ground pool in our backyard. Our house cost $325,000. We are located just outside of Toronto.

I bought my first house when I was 21 (moved in at 21), it was 1100sf, 1 1/2 story, two bedrooms, 1 bathroom, very low basement ( couldn’t stand up straight) but it had a nice yard. It cost $157,000 when I bought it and was worth $187,000 when I sold it last year. 

Post # 10
    10454 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: January 2011

@jpalm13:  You missed 2000-2500.  I can’t vote yet, but I’m going to take a second look at a house a little over 2100.  I think it might be the one!

Post # 11
    466 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

I am currently 31 and Fh is about to turn 30. We bought our house last september right before my birthday. We were thinking starter home when we first started looking but when I found the listing for our house, I knew it would probably be our forever home. We live in a very small town in Ohio for reference. Our house is a gorgeous victorian, around 2200 sq ft, with an unfinished basement, an unfinished attic that we could finish and use as a room if we wanted, and a huge old carriage house that is two stories.

It was a foreclosure and we got a steal on it. It has four bedrooms, two bathrooms, orginial woodwork, hardwood floors. We are the envy of the family with this house. I personally wouldn’t change a thing if we were to look again. Okay, one small thing, I wouldn’t live in town, I’d like a little more privacy and land. But for where we live, we have a very large lot and more privacy then most. I can live without more land, definitely wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

Post # 12
    1178 posts
    Bumble bee

35 here. Bought it myself but SO will move in after we are engaged. About 1500 sq feet, 3 bed, 2 bath home. I pinch myself everyday because I love my house so much! I have a huge deck and big backyard. It is a lot of work but I’m so happy.

Post # 13
    1629 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2013

Yeah you need an under 1000 option for us metro area bees, especially near/in NYC hahaha. 800 sq ft apartment which is perfect for just us and our cat for now at 25 with no plans to have kids in the next couple years 🙂

Post # 14
    8668 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2012

We have a 1940 Cape Cod in NJ. 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom (we’re adding a second soon), small kitchen, decent size dining room, decent sized living room, full basement (unfinished), front porch that extends the width of the house (25 feet), no deck yet!  Forced Air heat, no Central Air. No garage. We sit an a half acre.  🙂  Our decorating is more antiques and semi-traditional with an artist twist. We’re both designers.

Post # 16
    753 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

I am 22, my FI is 25. We are building a home, closing is on July 31st!! 

Our priorities for this house were mainly, something that we could potentially have children in and live in comfortably for the next 30 years. Not that we are planning on doing so, but we didn’t want to be stuck in something that would not work with a family. 

Our home is 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths. 1500 square feet. The first level has the attached oversided two car garage, with the half bath and a large open kitchen/dining area and living room. The second level has the three bedrooms, including our master suite with walk in closet. The laundry closet and linen closet is also upstairs. 

The community we live in is in a great area- 5 miles away from my work, and close to the highway (but protected geographically so there is no highway noise) if my FI does need to commute at some point. There is a five acre park being currently constructed, with an entrance two blocks down and one block over from our house. It’ll have a pond, picnic areas, dog park, etc. There are walking and biking trails everywhere, and plans to build an elementary school in the next five years. 

The most important thing to us is that it will be totally move in ready. No work needed at all. If we were going to stretch our budget for a house, we wanted it to be good as is for at least five years! This meant some compromises (no granite counter tops, black instead of stainless appliances), but the cheaper materials are still durable and look lovely. 

The only extras we will have to pay for will be back yard landscaping (front is included) and the fence. 

I think “average” depends on where you are, though! We’re paying just over $202,000 for our home, which is high compared to some places, but incredibly low compared to what we’re used to. $200,000 gets you a trailer on a rented lot, where we used to live. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors