(Closed) 25 days left.. no officiant :((((

posted 5 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 3
1235 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@poetiksoul1225:  uhh i would be too. you cant get married without one!

Post # 4
9956 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

@poetiksoul1225:  Other Bees can probably help you out, give you ideas, names etc.  BUT you have to tell us WHERE you are getting married… either the State Area, or the nearest BIG City etc.

Suggest that you also might want to post on the LOCAL BOARD (last tab on the Green Banner here in the WBEE BOARDS Section) for the area where you are getting married… as sometimes Local Bees will check those Boards too and your post won’t get so lost in the shuffle as it will here on the bigger CEREMONY BOARD.

PS… Finding an Officiant can prove a challenge sometimes, as I am discovering myself.  BUT in our case, our Wedding is still about 6 months away, and I have a very long list of possible names and ideas, and am just making my way down the list.  Hopefully something will click soon for us.

Post # 5
429 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Is there anyone in the family that can do it for a reduced price?  My uncle is a priest and is doing the ceremony for us.  I know that you can get someone ordained online for a fee and they can do it.  I don’t know how much it would cost, but it may be cheaper than an officiant.

Post # 6
429 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

…But make sure it’s legal in your state.  I am thinking about what I just wrote and legal issues vary in different areas

Post # 9
125 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

I’m in Australia so obviously our laws would be completely different, but we need to sign an ‘intention to marry’ with our officiant at least one month and one day prior to the ceremony, so double check there’s no laws like that.

Post # 10
817 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013 - Mansion House at the MD Zoo

Getting ordained online is like $14 at themonastary.org. Might actually be free and the $14 is for a notarized letter, I can’t remember. That’s what we’re doing, and a good friend is marrying us. Alternately, have a friend/family member stand up and do the ceremony, and just sneak over to the courthouse later that week. I know that what will make me feel married is saying vows to my boo in front of all our friends and family, not the legal paper (although we do need that). As I keep telling him, we already made the commitment to each other, it’s just more formal when you commit in front of people. Like they can hold you responsible or something…. I’m not explaining this well but that makes sense to me. Anyway, my point is you can have a wedding ceremony with a friend “officiating” and do a courthouse wedding later if you have to, it’s the commitment and vows that people really want to see. Just take it to your grave. 🙂

Also I should add that I have given this a lot of thought because my worst nightmare is finding out 2 weeks after the wedding that we’re not really married and having to do a quick courthouse ceremony to make it legal. But that’s my back-up plan, and again, we’ll end up married one way or the other. That’s really the point.

Post # 11
11760 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@poetiksoul1225:  Our JP starts prices at $50.00 for a basic ceremony and will do a custom ceremony for anywhere from $150 and up.  Also, I second having a friend marry you and going to the courthouse the day before or after to be legally married. I have had a few friends do that and no one knew the difference.

Post # 12
4659 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Have you considered widening where you are looking?  I know things are a lot more pricier in the Chicago area than they are just an hour north in the Milwaukee area.  You might be able to find someone with a cheaper base rate + travel rate over the boarder….  also I like the idea of  just going to the coarthouse the day before.  No one has to know.  Just list a friend or someone you trust as ‘performing the ceremony’ or something like that and be done with it!  

Post # 15
1370 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@poetiksoul1225:  Yes, they’ll become a clergy member. There are several around, but you become clergy in a church (universal life church comes to mind, but there are probably others).

It’s perfectly legal to sign the paperwork the day before the wedding at the courthouse and do a personal ceremony privately. Of course, that is the day you’re technically married. If you ever need to file divorce or record your official wedding date anywhere it would be the courthouse date.

ETA: I’m sorry you’re in this situation. We had a chaplain back out of our wedding last minute (20 or so days before) and we had to scramble. It ended up working out, but it was super stressful. I hope you find a resolution soon!

Post # 16
817 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013 - Mansion House at the MD Zoo

@poetiksoul1225:  In the majority of jurisdictions, an online church counts as a ministry. I had to talk to a supervisor in the county clerk’s office just to double-check, but they will accept universal life church. Also the ordination websites can generally tell you if a given jurisdiction will accept their certificate. And if not, day before or after, just for the legal formalities. No big thing. Good luck!

The topic ‘25 days left.. no officiant :((((’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors