(Closed) 29 days UNTIL wedding, but want to ELOPE! HELP

posted 4 years ago in Emotional
  • poll: If you were a guest (friend or family) how would you react to finding out we had eloped...
    be upset and mad, probably wouldn't have come : (9 votes)
    45 %
    be happy for the couple and ready for the fun reception : (8 votes)
    40 %
    other, feel free to leave comment : (3 votes)
    15 %
  • Post # 3
    2128 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014 - Baby #2 due Sep 2017

@youngORbride:  If I’m totally honest I don’t see how eloping solves anything especially since everything is already planned and you want the classic wedding photos. The stress and family drama isn’t solved by eloping and on top of that your family will most likely be upset if it was changed into a reception as opposed to a ceremony-including ceremony last minute.

I don’t know your family or to whom you are closest, but I think your mum and dad (and step mum) should be able to pull it together for your Big Day. Any reasonable human being can put aside their differences for one day- after all, you are equally their daughter.

‘I don’t have that great of a relationship with her and still want her there.’

If you don’t have a great relationship with your sister, because of the order, I’d say uninvite her. I know it’s harsh and I don’t know the back story, but that sounds like the simplest solution and it sounds like you’d like your mum there more than your sister since you want to elope with your mum present.

if I choose mom over sister then dad won’t walk me down the aisle. 🙁

I’m sorry your dad said that. I’m hoping it’s an empty threat. Your dad should pull it together for you.

Post # 4
    181 posts
    Blushing bee

I have a friend who married internationally. She had her wedding ceremony in Scotland and a reception in Maryland for the friends and family that couldn’t make the trip over seas. Personally I was just happy to celebrate with her and her new husband.

There were pics of her in the wedding dress and the location was absolutely stunning, we got the whole day to catch up and explore – it was really quite an awesome experience. Never crossed my mind to be upset that I missed the wedding ceremony.

Post # 5
    929 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

If I was local I wouldn’t care, but if I flew in for your wedding only to find out you already got married I’d be pissed!

Post # 6
    605 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

I voted that as a guest, I would still look forward to celebrating with you at the reception if you eloped. 

However, I don’t know if your elopment plan will solve your problem.  Your sister won’t be able to attand and your dad (assuming his threat is real) won’t walk you down the aisle. And since your mom wants all or nothing, will she even be happy with this solution?

Sorry you’re going through this.  It sounds like your family is being really unreasonable. 

The topic ‘29 days UNTIL wedding, but want to ELOPE! HELP’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors