29 weeks and my sleep is getting worse,… desperate for tips

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
950 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@Mrslovebug: I am in the same no sleep camp at 26 weeks!  It’s terrible.

Can you nap during the day?  I’ve been doing that to try to make up hours.  I find for myself alot of physical issues are waking me up in the night.

I find I’m super sensitive and just don’t seem to need as much sleep.  Heartburn is a big reason I wake up – I have tums and a glass of water close by now.  Sleeping with pillows all around me so I’m as comfortable as possible helps.  I humidify my room through the day so I don’t wake up with a dry/bloody nose.  Is your room a sleep-positive space?  A cup of tea before bed (Angel Mama’s Hearburn Tea is great) and a heating pad or bath for back pain seems to help relax me.  And then when I’m lying there and my mind is stuck on some random thing I just get up for a while and try to go back to bed in an hour or so.  DH has found me doing laundry at 4 am.  I know a drop in blood sugar can wake you up too.  I try to snack right before I sleep, otherwise I will definitely be up at some point getting a bowl of cereal.

I know these are all lame little things but in combo I can get a 6 ish hour sleep on a good night.  Otherwise I’m waking up at 3:30 and doing house projects cause I’m so bloody awake.  Everyone says its just my body prepping me for baby but I can’t do another 3 months of this!!!

From what I understand there aren’t any sleep aids you can take through pregnancy – definitely talk to your doc about this.  I feel your pain – I was up at 4:30 writing blog posts cause I just can’t stay in bed any longer.  Anything on the internet about pregnancy insomnia seems to address psychological issues. Are you stressed or worried?  I mentioned it to MIL that I’m not sleeping and she was all “Don’t be worried, I will help you with everything, now is the time to stock up on sleep”.  Surprisingly that does put me at ease for silly things I was thinking about in the middle of the night.

Good luck to you!  I hope you can identify some ways to help you sleep a little more, cause this sucks!  

Post # 4
4440 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

as long as your doc can approve over the phone, or his/her nurse asst. ask about benedryl. My doctor told me I could use that if I wasn’t getting enough sleep or insomnia. I havent needed to but it’s supposedly on the safe list! It should calm you enough to get you back asleep

Post # 5
1436 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

@Mrslovebug:  it’s hard. My sleep was horrible from 6 weeks on. It’s only been in the last bit it’s gotten better (I’m 35 weeks). If you’re into naturalistic remedies, my naturopath recommended rescue sleep. I found it helped a little, whether it was the placebo effect or not.

Post # 6
324 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I used to suffer from insomnia when I was younger, I found sound machines very soothing (especially storm/ rain sound). There are lots of free apps you can use for this. 

I also found that keeping the temprature down in the bedroom helped. 

The one thing that always works though is (I know this sound weird) listening to an audiobook on my mp3 player. Being read to is very relaxing and you stop worrying so about falling asleep, which again makes it easier. It’s my top sleeping tip and it has worked for everyone who’s tried it on my suggestion. 

Post # 7
3009 posts
Sugar bee

@Mrslovebug:  I sometimes used Tylenol simply sleep- it’s approved as is unisom. My sleep totally fell apart during pregnancy but I think it helped when he was born since I was so used to being awake it didn’t bother me. Now he’s 9w and is an amazing sleeper & I’m working on my sleep again. 

Post # 8
856 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Unison or benedryl is what my doctor says to try. I drink sleepy time tea twice a week.

Post # 9
525 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I have had sleep issues basically the last 13 years. For a long time, I was sleep drug dependent, but quit when we decided to ttc. I’m 7 weeks now, and have had on, off sleep problems. I find that a cool, dark, quiet room is helpful. If I’m particularly wound up, listening to meditation works well for me. Also unisom, and Benadryl are approved by my doc. I’ve also heard of a docs approving Tylenol pm. But I would check with my ob. Hope you get some sleep soon!! 

Post # 10
1059 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2008 - A tiny town just outside of Glacier National Park

@mamadingdong:  FYI, Tylenol “simply sleep” is the same thing as benadryl. It’s just the generic drug name re-branded under the Tylenol umbrella! 🙂

So anyone who wants to use Benadryl can use that as well!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors