3 1/2 hour reception too short?

posted 3 years ago in Reception
  • poll: Is 3 1/2 hours too short?
    Too short- move the ceremony to 5 : (14 votes)
    48 %
    Just fine : (13 votes)
    45 %
    Other - explain below : (2 votes)
    7 %
  • Post # 2
    30 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: July 2014

I’m having a 3 1/2 hour reception also, on a thursday (friday is a holiday so it’s basically like a friday wedding). I know its going to seem pretty short but we will be on an organized schedual so we will get everything accomplished. Can you plan some sort of “after party”. We are planning to maybe go back to the hotel bar/restraunt

Post # 3
    1214 posts
    Bumble bee

To me, the cost would have to be less along with the time alotted.  3.5 hours is kind of short.  You may feel a little rushed.

Post # 4
    1136 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2015

Milibee13:  Its doable, but you may feel rushed (and possibly sad if it goes by too quickly!) if I were you i’d move the ceremony back – people at my work leave early all the time for weddings! I really don’t think people mind, its a very special occasion!

Post # 5
    458 posts
    Helper bee

Dinner, speeches, and all the other wedding stuff takes about 2 hours.  That leaves an hour and a half to party. Not too much time in my opinion.

Post # 7
    1044 posts
    Bumble bee

I think 3.5 hours is fine, but yes, moving it to 5 is good too. The people who want to be at your wedding will leave work early if it’s possible for them to do so!

Post # 8
    175 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

If I were you I would move it to 5pm. I think you will feel that your wedding day will just fly by!

Post # 9
    273 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

If it makes you feel better my entire wedding is slated to be 2 hours long! We couldn’t afford a whole day of rental so we had to go for a 4 hour rental and the wedding ceremony can’t start any earlier than 6:00. So the wedding is from 6:00 to 8:00. 

There are no booze at all allowed at the venue so I imagine it won’t be hard for us to tell people to pack it up and move it out once they have had time to eat and socialize.

Post # 10
    6279 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2013

my reception was 4 hours, so a half hour shorter does not seem short at all.

2 hours would be short.

Post # 11
    1952 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

What about moving it to 5:30?  a 4 hour reception would be fine!

Post # 12
    458 posts
    Helper bee

I had a Friday wedding. Starting time was 6:30, cocktail hour 7-8, reception started at 8 and the last people left at 12:30. Do your friends love dancing? If so, start at 5. The dancing was the most fun, but didn’t start until around 10. If I was you, I’d move it to 5 to allow as much time as possible to celebrate. 

Post # 13
    183 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

My reception is from 6-12. definately try to start your ceremony at 5!

Post # 14
    2704 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

Milibee13:  I would move it to 5 so you don’t feel rushed.

It also depends on if you’re drinkers or not. I like to drink and dance so it is not long enough for me, whereas my FI HATES drinking and dancing, so the less the better! It depends what you’re going for.

For our wedding, our ceremony is 6:45pm (roughly 20 min) then app/dessert reception to follow, the dance/party will wrap up around 1am. I’m hoping this will be long enough! I’m sure it’ll go by too fast.

Post # 15
    6900 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

Most venues here do a four hour evening reception. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors