(Closed) 3 engagements all right next to another…

posted 5 years ago in Family
Post # 3
1066 posts
Bumble bee

@mjax:  It is your wedding day. Of course you want it to be special. So I do understand how you feel. It will need communication between you all so you don’t book the same venues close together. I would book my venue now LOL…I love weddings so three weddings would be so exciting for me. Congratulations on your engagement x

Post # 5
183 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@Kimy:  I agree with you!

This is similar to a scenario in my family, not involving myself but cousins in the same family. Everyone wants to have their moment and we all have “plans” but you can’t get mad at the person the acts on them first and starts planning their wedding, if that’s you then so be it!

Post # 6
1066 posts
Bumble bee

@eraff32:  LOL you are so correct!

Post # 7
1797 posts
Buzzing bee

Just keep in mind how much there is to consider when choosing a wedding date.  There are (at least) 2 sides of each person family to consider when making sure VIP’s are available.

Many years ago my very young stepdd planned her wedding, got everything set and THEN told us about it.  She was 18. Well, she had chosen a date 9 months out from when she told us, but I was in the military and already had orders for an NCO academy.  Attendance was mandatory.  She didn’t check with any VIP’s, they just picked a date.  I didn’t aks her to, but she moved her date.

People have school, military, and work obligations that tie in to having your family and friends available.  I know that is how all of my married girls approached their wedding dates.  They made a list of who was “non-negotiable” to them as far as having them at their wedding and made sure the date worked for them.

When you have blended families, that can get even harder.

Your time will be very special for you, just as theirs will for them.  It will all work out just fine.

Post # 8
469 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

@mjax:  I know exactly what you mean! I was the last to be engaged tho, however been with my guy the longest.  My sister is getting married in June, my FSIL in August and myself in December.  It’s all within 6 months of each other.

Post # 11
417 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

My brother and I are getting married 6 months apart, and my MOH and I are getting married 5 weeks apart (I’m also her MOH).  We haven’t had any conflict because we all love and support each other and place being married to the people we love well above having a big “my day” specticle.

Post # 13
272 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

@mjax:  I would be excited! i also love weddings and all the pre-wedding festivities like the showers and parties. However, I think as a bride I would be stressed by this

Post # 14
13 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2013

mjax I know exactly how you feel. We were the first to get engaged (and also the oldest and been together the longest), and within 3 weeks 3 of his cousins were engaged, and all planning weddings for summer 2013. One is getting married in April, one in July, and us in June. The problem was the third cousin. After we had booked our venue and dates and told everyone, they decided to change their date to ours!! I was mortified. I have major issues with his family anyway, so this was really just terrible. They refused to change, saying they tried but got nowhere (doubt they tried hard, they hadn’t signed the contract when we told them we were already booked). So now my favorite of his cousins (the July wedding) is in the other wedding on our date. In Florida (we’re in Maryland). So his grandmother who my fiance dearly loves will not be attending our wedding, nor will his cousin, and we just aren’t sure about anyone else yet. His mother is not coming for different reasons.

Moral of the story – make sure to be in CONSTANT communication with everyone getting engaged. It is rough on the family members, especially when you think of the money for gifts, travel, etc. Luckily 3 of the weddings are in Maryland, so that’s not too bad, but it’s still tough for showers, etc. You’ll still get your special day, but focus on your friends and family, because chances are his family will only be talking about the weddings of the girls in their family. At least that has been my experience. But remember, communication is key, whether it’s scheduling bachelorette parties, bridal showers, or weddings.

Good luck with everything! Hope you have better luck then I did haha

Post # 15
6124 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1016&sid=21686741

Checkout this mega wedding in AZ – five siblings all married on the same day!

OK, not saying you should do this, but these things do happen (colliding engagements) – I wish you luck!

The topic ‘3 engagements all right next to another…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors