3 hour glucose test

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
1108 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

I would kill for 3 solid hours to sit on my ass and read a book for once in my life. 

Post # 5
1108 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

First world problem, my friend ….

Post # 6
264 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@Ellicott:  too bad that isn’t what the test consists of!  It’s 3 blood tests over 3 hours while pregnant, fasting and on a sugar high that makes most people feel like crap. 

@eecuadrado:  I just did it 2 weeks ago.  It’s not fun and you probably won’t feel great.  I would try and do it in the am to get it over with.  I broke up my hours with finding things to do.  The first hour I sat and waited second I went on a mission to find an atm and  the third I went to get food to break the fast with.  Would have been nice to have company but I was definitely fine on my own.  I was pretty sleepy though! 

Post # 7
11668 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@eecuadrado:  I actually felt less sick for the 3 hour test then I did for the 1 hour. I didn’t mind taking time off work and sitting around reading for 3 hours lol.  I caught up on some baby book reading I had been putting off. It went by fast.  The worst part was having to get blood drawn 4 times – definitley switch arms in between. Having blood drawn twice in the same arm right in a row HURTS!

Make sure you bring something to eat in the parking lot before you drive home.

Post # 8
264 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@eecuadrado:  I only had to fast for 6 hours so I could eat whatever I wanted the night before.  Woke up and just skipped breakfast and went straight there and I was allowed water. Good luck! It will be over before you know it! 

Post # 12
298 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@eecuadrado:  It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. With my one hour test the lab was so backed up that it seemed to take longer because of the waiting before hand and I felt sicker afterwards. The three hour test I kept myself busy between draws. It was also during the week so there was more staff on hand and there wasn’t as much waiting as before. Definitely bring something to eat afterwards. Good luck with this test! I ended up passing my three hour test with flying colors.

Post # 14
7654 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

@Ellicott:  When you’re on a sugar high that gives you a splitting headache and nausea, reading is the last thing you get to do unfortunately.

@eecuadrado:  You already know my experience with it–and I had to do the one hour twice in a week and then come back after the weekend to do that 3 hour. It really wasn’t that bad apart from that nausea and headache from the sugar rush. The needle pokes are so routine for me now that I just kind of brush them off.

Good luck! (eat afterwards if you can. It really helps)

Post # 15
1392 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

My three hour test had four blood draws. I was ok, but I definitely was not a happy camper by the end. She missed on the last one and I ended up being stuck six times. Ugh. I failed my three hour test as well. I was nervous about GD,  but I swear its not as bad as its made out to be. I gained a total of 14 lbs during my pregnancy, felt amazing, and had it really easy once I got my eating under control. Before I knew what was wrong, I was miserable and felt horrible. 

Long story short, don’t sweat it if you fail. Its not a death sentence!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors