(Closed) 3 Interviews…. How long should I wait?

posted 8 years ago in Money
Post # 3
2889 posts
Sugar bee

This is a tricky and frustrating situation. Are both jobs with the same company? I think the only thing you can really do is push the company to give you a realistic time frame but if you push too hard, they will just tell you no I’m sure.  A friend of mine waited several months on a new position she was up for which was being created internally. In her case it worked out as the external candidate for the same position gave up waiting so by the time the job actually existed (and she was ready to quit) she got the official offer and moved instantly. I know of another friend who waited only to be told that the approval didn’t go through and the company was no longer looking to fill the position. So, all I can say is good luck, remain professional and don’t get too excited until you sign a contract.

Post # 4
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

If the positions are with separate companies then I would suggest asking for a timeline from the new company.  Tell them you need to start looking for other options if you haven’t heard in 2 more weeks.  Be honest, let them know this is your dream position, you would really like to accept an offer, however, you need work.  

After those two weeks, move ahead with asking for the raise at your current position.  More than likely that will take a few weeks to be decided or implemented.  You could even be honest with them too and say you are going to look elsewhere for a position that better matches your qualifications if they don’t come through.  

Worst cast, you get offered the new job and the promotion at the same time.  Then you have to decide.  

Post # 5
319 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I worked in recruiting at my previous company and we had to carry people along for a while due to budget reasons and getting things approved. It’s hard to do and would always go 50/50. I would be honest with the new company and see if they can give you a timeline, they should understand they can’t really string you along forever. Also, be careful because they could still possibly be interviewing people and you could have waited this long for nothing. Best of luck!

Post # 6
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I think caszos put it best. That’s what I’d do. If it’s in the same company, I’d probably sit tight for another month though and try to see what the hold up was.

Post # 8
3176 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Just to throw in my two cents, FH had 4 interviews with his “dream” company and was told he’d know it 1-2 weeks b/c they needed to get approval, 2 months later he still hadn’t heard. He would check in now and then and was told they were still waiting on approval and also on an accreditation-like piece to pass or something and they hoped to find out in a week or so. We really didn’t have too much hope, if he would have been offered a position somewhere else, I’m sure he would have taken it. 3 months later he got a call asking if he was still interested. He said yes and they asked when he could start. My point is that really the ball is completely in their court, if this really is your dream job then I would hold out, keep checking like you are and I think its ok to ask for a timeframe but I wouldn’t make it seem like an ultimatum. Ask more like, do you have a better timeframe, not I need to know by X time or else…Good Luck!

Post # 9
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I wouldn’t give the potential offer place a timeline. If they reject you, you can always say, “please keep me in mind for the future, I’d really love to work at this place, blah blah blah” something nice. But I’d keep following up, see what the problem is (maybe they are running into snags with your background check or something like that), and sit tight.

With your current company, I’d put in for the promotion now because it may take awhile to get approved anyways. People ask for raises all the time and it’s fairly impersonal. You havent’ had a raise in 3 years! I mean, whoa. They aren’t going to fire you for asking for a raise–they can only say no. If you DO leave soon after, you can just say it wasn’t something you were expecting, it was last minute, you didn’t think you were going to get the other, etc etc. People it seems, to me at least, are generally happy that you are succeeding in life and doing well, even if it’s changing companies. I am currently transitioning to another team at my work and I’ve been taken back by how supportive everyone’s been. So you may be surprised =]. It’s not like the two companies are talking together about you!

Inquiring makes you appear interested in the job. Like June said, sometimes it takes a very VERY long time for companies to get offers out there for their employees to take up!!!! It took like, about 6 months for my official offer to come through. It sucks!

The topic ‘3 Interviews…. How long should I wait?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors