3 legged pooches?

posted 2 years ago in Pets
Post # 2
1881 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2015 - Ruby Princess

dogs are amazingly resilient and do fine with 3 legs. he will not even notice, I promise!

Post # 3
1663 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Mollie-Rose:  I would go with the vet on this one. If there’s a low chance of success, then you might just be taking the long road to amputation anyhow. At 4 months, the recovery and “rehab” will probably be much easier than with an older dog.

And I’ve had a GSP who lived t0 be 14… and never settled down. Tail twitcher for life.

Post # 4
4483 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

our cat has 3 working legs, and 1 just for show :-p

she does stairs, jumps, plays, everything a typical cat does, and she’s basically a mush. we love her!

Post # 5
1007 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

We have a black lab with a back leg that is fused straight. He was a stray and was hit by a car, and his leg wasn’t properly cared for, so it fused straight. He drags it when he walks (unless on pavement) and kicks it up when he runs or goes down the stairs. Most people don’t even notice. Glad to hear your pup survived!!

Post # 6
6419 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2013

I do not personally have a dog with three legs, however, as a volunteer at a local humane society I see dogs with three legs fairly often. Most of them have recently had their leg amputated and are already up and running around. Glad to hear your puppy survived!

Post # 8
8518 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2014

Mollie-Rose:  Does he have a crate? If so, keep him contained in it when you cant watch him closely. Take him out to potty on a leash, and keep him in the same room with you so you can stop him immediately if he starts running around. 

You really dont want him to rip his stitches. 

Post # 9
1881 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2015 - Ruby Princess

Did the vet give you pain medicine for him? If so, make sure you give it. It will help keep him quieter. Crating is hard, but very necessary for his healing.

Post # 10
822 posts
Busy bee

So glad he’s okay! At his age, he’ll be just fine with three legs.

As you know, it’s super important to keep him crated during this time. GSPs are absolutely ridiculous energy-wise (it’s the only breed that I’ve told FI there’s no way we’ll ever have). In the mean time, try exercising his mind since his body is off limits. Look into puzzle toys, freeze kongs full of peanut butter, his food, bananas, plain yogurt, blue berries, carrots or any combination of those things. Worst case scenario, go look for frozen marrow bones from your local butcher or specialty pet food store. They’re very rich, so monitor the first time you give them, but I can almost assure you that your pup will stay completely still.

Not sure how advanced he is on commands, but now would be a great time to work on commands like ‘Leave It’, ‘Place’ and ‘Stay’ or something more advanced — I had a friend who tought her lab how to put away laundry after the lab had foot surgery and couldn’t move a lot. She handed her dog a pair of socks and the dog dropped it in the drawer for her. Obviously an amputation is a lot more severe, but hopefully these helps. 

Post # 11
123 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Can we see pictures of the little cutie? I have a GSP and love her so much!!! Kisses to your guy  

Post # 12
35 posts
Newbee

This thread hits close to home!  My 3 legged golden retriever turns 13 tomorrow!  She was hit by a car as a 1 year old.  I made the tough decision to amputate and I don’t regret it, ever!  She has a lot of spunk… Sitting down!  For years, she was able to walk miles and play just like the other dogs.  She has lost stamian over the past couple of years.  We actually just got her a wagon so she can join us after she gets tired as we walk our other golden.  Honestly, her quality of life was no different than our 4 legged girl.  It’s sad now that she tires so easily but that’s part of aging.  I’ll answer any questions that you may have!  

Post # 14
35 posts
Newbee

It will be your new normal before long!  Make sure to watch for when she starts slowing down.  We rely on a several meds to keep her juiced up!  Unfortunately, the front leg is the worst to lose because they carry 70% of their body weight on he 2 front legs.  My dog still swims at 13!!  She still rides in the car with her head out the window and barks at people walking by our house.  

Post # 15
766 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

We adopted a three legged fur baby named Yardley (so named by the rescue because she is a three foot dog).  She runs like the wind and has no trouble doing anything her four legged brother does.  🙂

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors