3 months later … still no photos! What do I do?!

posted 2 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 2
1629 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - Church

sugarcube:  Send him a letter by registered mail asking for an update of where he is at if you don’t hear from him within a week and you expect a response by whatever date it is that you choose outlining the contract (that is if you have tried phoning him). I personally think that that is unacceptable.

Post # 4
1629 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - Church

sugarcube:  From what I understand of the law is if he did the job then he is entitled to be paid (same goes for if someone only did a partial job he would entitled to some pay even if he did not complete the job). If there is something in your contact about penalty not getting photos back to you, I would cite that. I would honestly probably get a solicitor to write the letter for you. If your photos are not edited and you want the photos back you might be able to get a small refund back.

Post # 6
194 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Bad customer service is something that really annoys me. I agree with laceydoilies – write him a letter (or get a solicitor to do it if you have the funds available) stating whatever information is relevant in your contract. You could also speak to a solicitor about how well the verbal contract about free photos if he doesn’t complete then within a certain time is. 

Good luck. I’m sure your lovely photos will be worth it in the end! 

Post # 7
535 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I would write nicely asking for an update. Don’t mention his “guarantee” Then, once you get them back, bring up his promise and let him know you expect him to uphold it. It may be hard to get him to abide by it if there’s nothing in writing,  and if you paid in cash.  But if you used a credit card, there are some avenues you can pursue. 

Also, once you get the photos and request your money back (or another reasonable compromise) I would let him know you will tell anyone who will listen what time of service you received from his business. That way, it sounds like it puts it on him to determine whether that will be positive or negative. 

Post # 9
2358 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Our photographer gave us an estimate of 8 weeks but it ended up being about 14 weeks, and that was after I gave a few polite nudges. She told us she had a family emergency and that was the actual truth.  

Post # 10
916 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

sugarcube:  If you have that in writing, I would bring it up only AFTER you make initial contact with him.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  nikkiibee.
Post # 11
145 posts
Blushing bee

Legal Shield is great for these kinds of things, that way you dont have to pony the cash up for a lawyer to write the letter.

Post # 12
145 posts
Blushing bee

Get the BBB or small claims court involved.

Post # 13
145 posts
Blushing bee

One more thing, if he knows you are now entitled to a full refund and all his work is for “free” now he’s got no incentive to be timely if you dont get outside help. 

Post # 15
995 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

sugarcube:  First, medical and family issues are real and DO happen. It’s really disappointing for you to just dismiss them saying “I don’t believe that.” He doesn’t have to tell you his kid was diagnosed with Lukemia or his wife has cervical cancer and he has needed to be there for her… it’s not your business. Second, I fault the photographer for making such a STUPID promise to you under what were clearly some really challenging times for him. It sounds like he REALLY wanted to make it right with you and obviously fully intended to get you those files within the three months. I feel bad for him that he didn’t make it. I feel like you’re somewhat entitled to the refund based on his promise, but I personally would feel like a jack*** about taking it. He may give it willingly or he may not. Maybe wait to see the photos (which you should receive like immediately) and if you are honestly happy with the results and feel he worked hard and did a great job for you, why not just let him keep the money for the work he did instead of sticking it to him over a promise that was made with the best intentions to get you the files? Also, the promise may be in writing, but bear in mind, especially since it’s not in the signed contract, if he challenges you might not win in court. I believe something to the effect of what laceydoilies: said might override that.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors