3 months until my wedding day & I don't have a dress

posted 3 years ago in Emotional
Post # 2
2163 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Have you tried bridal shops where you can buy off the rack? I’m not in your shoes but I had a friend who got engaged on Valentine’s Day and was married on May 17. She went for a dress off the rack at David’s Bridal or someplace like that. I hope you can find something!!!

Post # 3
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

Hi are you UK? I just bought my dress off Bridal Barn they have an ebay account and they ship world wide. Just search maggie sottero on ebay and you’ll see loads that are posed on a black manequin against a wooden draws and flowers on a seat. The lady who runs it is amazing I had totally brilliant experience so much more special then a bridal shop when I went and tried dresses on. I feel very lucky, all dresses are genuine and certified. Mine is a penelope and I just love it so much so so so much

Post # 5
204 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Where in Australia are you from?

I’m in Melbourne and got my Pronovias gown off the rack in a super sale for a bargain price, and it fits like a glove! Although now that I’m adding and changing a few things about it, it’s requiring more time and money, but those things didn’t really NEED to be done. This store had varying sizes as well, so hopefully you’ll find something gorgeous that fits! 🙂

Post # 6
721 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Have you looked at Etsy at all? My friend sent her measurements to an Etsy dressmaker just two weeks after she got engaged (which was 6 weeks ago) and her dress is already in. 

Post # 7
650 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Have you considered buying a pre-owned dress?  I just didn’t find anything in the shops that I liked (and could afford).  I ended up finding the dress of my dreams on Craigslist.  The dress was 2 yrs old and had been discontinued.  I guess that why I didn’t see it in the shops.  It was in excellent condition and I didn’t need to get any major alterations.  I kept thinking a new dress but in the end I ending up finding something where I didn’t expect.  I also believe that “Still White” is a popular site for former brides selling dresses in Australia.  Good Luck.

Post # 8
59 posts
Worker bee

I think I can make you feel better. It’s not the same situation but I promise you will think “If she can get through THAT, I can get through this!” 

I ordered my dress in January for a May wedding (This was a few years ago). My dress was due April 15 and we knew it was going to need alterations. April 16th roles around (1month before wedding) and I never heard from my bridal shop. I called them and they said they had not recieved the dress from China (Yeah I had to go cheap ) yet.  Anyways, the manager assured me (but very rudely) that she would find out where it is was. Later on that day I still hadn’t heard back so I called again. This time I find out that the manager had up and left for the day and that he assistant was now taking care of it. He then tells me that my dress was never made by the factory and that they have every dress but mine that was ordered that day. Come to find out they NEVER EVEN ORDERED MY DRESS! My dress takes 3 months to make and I have less then one month until the wedding. 

The shop put a “rush order” on a new dress. About a week before my wedding I find out that my dress was for some reason in Texas (I’m wayyyyy up in Michigan). I finally get my dress and try it on for the first time TWO days before my wedding and I need major alterations. It came 3 sizes too big and 4 inches too long. The shop did a half a** alteration job and while I was walking down the aisle my stiching came undone and the bottom of my dress fell the 4 inche it was hemmed.  Looking back I wish I would of gone anywhere and got a pretty white dress. It wouldn’t of had to of been so grand but it would of saved alot of heart ach and I know my husband would of still thought I looked just as beautiful 

Moral of the story- Find and wear anything that makes you feel beautiful =)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  EllasGrace20.
Post # 9
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

Me again, I know for a fact she has customers in Australia as I asked about overseas customers while she was lacing me in! Here is a link to her page http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/the_bridal_barn?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 just have a look, all her dresses are new with tags. They are customer returns or store samples, mine is so amazing and definitely not been tried on before. Good luck 

Post # 10
347 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

My dress was a sample in my size – I took it home the same day! Don’t give up hope… might take a little longer to find one/more searching if you need to find one off the rack, but keep looking x

Post # 11
139 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I’m getting married this August and I don’t have a dress yet. So we are in the same boat!  I’ve been on the lookout for sample sales/events.  There is an event this weekend called Brides Against Breat Cancer and they are selling donated and pre-worn dressing at a fraction of the orignial prices.  I’m going to that as well as various bridal shops which allow you to buy off the rack.  Youre dress is out there.  You’ll find it!

Post # 12
230 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

can we see a picture of what you have already? And, what size are you looking for?

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors