3 weeks away and the seating arrangements are going to be the death of me

posted 3 years ago in October 2013
Post # 3
Hostess
9892 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

@AirForceWife78:  i am dreading the seating charts.  That will be the death of me, thankfully i still have lots of time to gear up for that.

Post # 5
1249 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

The truth is, guests only “have” to sit in their assigned seat for dinner. If they are unhappy, they can move after. But think about it. Have you ever been disgruntled by your seating assignment at a wedding? I haven’t. 

When making your seating chart, I’ve found it helpful to draw a diagram of your room, complete with table and bar locations, and write all guests’ names on sticky notes. Put the younger crowd away from the bar (they will make the lomg treck for a drink). If you need to make changes, names can easily be lifted and moved. Don’t over think it!

Post # 6
2441 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

I feel your pain! I did mine a few weeks ago and then we ended up adding another person, so I had to redo it. I did it this week and it took all week! We have less than 40 guests so I really feel for brides with bigger weddings.

Post # 8
35 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I know you’re concerned about how people will feel, but logistically, I’m using www[dot]tablerrr[dot]com to do the seating chart electronically and it is making the emotional part SO much easier.  I’m able to sit down with Mr. CeeJae and make changes, fight, throw the laptop at him, snatch it back.  Lol.  Just an FYI….;)

As far as how my people feel about where I sat them?  Ugh.  Gimme a break.  As long as I’m sitting next to my new husband, I’m good.

Post # 9
225 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Call me crazy but I actually enjoyed making the seating chart. It was like a puzzle and I’m a nerd like that. In case it helps anyone, this was my strategy:

1. I confirmed the number of tables and sizes with my coordinator. Using a layout she sent me I created an Excel spreadsheet with shapes representing the tables (but you could easily just use paper). 

2. We determined who should be at the head table.

3. We asked each set of parents who they wanted at their tables and came up with groups that would work.

4. For the rest of the guests, I divided them into mini-groups of who they need to/would want to sit by, e.g., this couple is a party of 2, this family is a party of 4, these three friends should sit together so they are a party of 3, etc.

5. I started combining the groups to make logical groupings of 8 per table. So if I had a family of 5, I’d look for which group of 3, or possibly a couple and a single, could sit by them to make a table of 8. At this point I had to try to separate those who hate each other or make sure the big drinkers who are loud are far away from the grandparents, etc.

6. I had to remind myself that this is only for 90 minutes and people will survive even if they don’t love where they’re sitting. While our seating chart is good, it’s not perfect and it never will me. And I’m not telling anyone (except the parents) who they’re sitting by because I don’t want anyone to tell me who they’d rather sit by and to then feel like I have to re-do the whole thing or worry that they don’t like their table.

Sorry if this is all completely obvious. Just thought I’d share since I know this is a major headache for a lot of people!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors