3 weeks or longer to recover from wisdom teeth surgery?

posted 5 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
6127 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

Umm I don’t think that’s normal. My recovery was only like a week, if that. Geez, I broke my collar bone, had to have surgery to fix it, and that was only like 3-4 weeks. Maybe it’s a “dry socket”…I’m not sure, but don’t let the doctor just push you aside if you are having pain

Post # 4
2425 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@IzzyBear:  Yeah, I have heard of dry sockets being a complication for wisdom teeth, but they are pretty common and your dentist should know what to look for with them.

Sorry, don’t have much to add other than than, I had a very easy recovery when I had mine out, I was fine in like a week.

Post # 5
5755 posts
Bee Keeper

Were they done by an oral surgeon or a maxillofacial surgeon? I’ve honestly never heard of leaving the roots in on a third molar extraction, so has he addressed the fact that that may be the cause of the pain? Do you have full motion of your jaw (up and down and side to side) or hear any popping or clicking noises when you open wide (or can you)?

How is he explaining the pain you feel?

Post # 6
Hostess
11174 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@sept22insf:  If the root was left as is wouldn’t you require a root canal? Could you possibly have dry socket? Has the oral surgeon checked you since the procedure?

I’m not a dentist but have many issues with root sensitivity and I know that it can be quite painful, unbearable at times. When I had my widsom teeth pulled I was better in about a week or so but it did take a little longer to return to normal eating habits (have to let the wounds heal, no dry socket).

I’m sorry to hear that you are still suffering.

Post # 7
4511 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

@sept22insf:  It took me a long time to recover from my surgery… I was pretty incapacitated for 2 weeks afterward, and then I’d say it was another 3 weeks or so before I was eating normally & felt like myself again.

That said, I got dry sockets & an infection afterward, so I had mor complications. I hope you feel better soon.

Post # 8
353 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

oh gosh, Im sorry! Mouth/tooth pain is absolutely the worst.  I’d maybe get a second opinion. I stopped feeling pain after 3-4 days and felt totally normal after a week.  I had a bad filling that caused me chronic pain over a matter of years – my dentist replaced the filling twice, which did nothing. I finally gave up and went to a new dentist who said the entire tooth needed to be taken out. Relief – FINALLY!   So, second opinions certainly cant hurt (pun intended).

Post # 9
2638 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2006

Sorry you’re hurting. I was definitely out for a few weeks. so maybe some people do just take longer. What you’re describing really sounds like a dry socket but you’d think a dentist would go to that as a first possibility after that surgery.

Post # 10
2214 posts
Buzzing bee

Wow, that’s crazy! I was back to normal after my 4 impacted wisdom teeth were taken out at the same time after 3-4 days (I didn’t have any swelling or complications). I’m not a dentist, but it seems weird that the roots were left, and if they were, I would think you would need a root canal so that there wouldn’t be any sensitivity. Maybe go somewhere else and get a second opinion?

Post # 11
9143 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

It took me two weeks to fully recover, had a bad reaction to the anesthsia though.  I do remember being able to feel the sharp points of my jaw under the gums for quite a while though.  Maybe those sharp points are still bothering you?  It took a few months but eventually I stopped being able to feel them.

If you still feel like something is wrong in another week and your dentist doesn’t then I would suggest you get a second opinion from another dentist at another practice to make sure the first one didn’t mess anything up.

Post # 12
2359 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I would go get the root taken out

Post # 14
5755 posts
Bee Keeper

On further research, it seems there is a relatively newer procedure that is done on occasion leaving the roots in on an impaction, called a coronectomy. I just read a study done in China about it showing the clinical trials and stats.

It is possible the roots have migrated (but if he took an xray and compared them, I’m sure he’d see it), and what he tried to avoid by leaving them may in fact have caused them to put pressure on the nerve. Nerve damage will usually cause numbness (and sometimes that whole half of your lower jaw), but the pain thing could be many things. It sounds more jaw related because of what you said about it hurting on eating and talking.

Sites of those extractions will take many months to fully heal and soreness can be expected…but pain has usually subsided by now. Is the area open or were stitches placed? If it was left open and food is getting trapped, that can also cause an infection under the flaps of tissue.

Good thing he wants to see you again in a week. If it gets any worse,don’t wait.

Post # 15
2638 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2006

@sept22insf:  Totally! I remember back when my sister had her surgery in high school (god, I’m getting old) she said when she could finally open her mouth completely without pain and not feel ANY lingering effects of the surgery, she’d treat herself to a Big Mac. I want to say that was over a month, maybe two, after the removal.

Have you ever seen what they actually do to your jaw to get an impacted tooth out? NO WONDER it’s so painful.

Post # 16
422 posts
Helper bee

I took quite a while to recover from mine. I was convinced I had dry sockets or an infection but they couldn’t find anything wrong. And to make it worse every mdication they tried giving me made me super sick

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors